Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
A really stupid question

Now, this is obviously going to get me laughed off the forum as even people's grannies could probably tell me the right answer, but I can put up with the ridicule so I'm going to go ahead and ask it anyway.
So.. up until now I've only been sailing on an almost brand new boat, which in keeping with modern sailing theories has a large square topped main and a relatively small foresail (maybe 110% at most?). Seeing as I can't afford an almost brand new boat and will be getting something of a slightly more "classic" vintage, it's going to be the opposite with a small main and probably a 130 or 150% foresail. Are there any differences in how to sail them, I'm thinking particularly about tacking and gybing the foresail?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2010
Almost land locked sailor

Freshbreeze is on a distinguished road
The problem i find with my genoa is the sheets (bent on using bowlines) keep on catching the shrouds and occasionally the tackle at the mast base or even the boom!

Maybe the problem could be solved using a single sheet? - this may be relevent. any advice guys and gals?
Old 03-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Tacking the larger foresail (if you're flying the "150") is more work, potentially more likely to hang up on the rig somewhere. The 244 (and her predecessors) avoided that by designing a large main and specifying just the one headsail size.

There are trim differences because the main and genoa interact a bit differently with the large overlap... but essentially otherwise it's very similar in terms of how things work.

Hangups can be avoided by certain techniques, putting rollers/covers on stays that cause problems, smaller knots,and/or letting the sail backwind a bit to promote the sail "blowing" through the foretriangle more readily.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-28-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Paul,
Hull shape will have a lot to do with how a boat will come about into the wind almost as much as the sails. Every boat is a different set of compromises; some sail like dinghies while others sail like full keelers, like my boat which is slow (but forgiving) to come into the wind. Yes, the standing rigging and sails make a difference too but my point is more that it is one boat at a time as you could take a lifetime learning about all the different rigs.
Examples of specific boats you have been sailing and boats you might consider owning might stimulate this conversation.
I wouldn't laugh at your Grandma unless she looked funny.

Freshbreeze,
The way you have your genoa sheets rigged seems to be accepted as the best and safest way to do this (2 lines, 2 bowlines in the clew). It is the safest way to rig the genny because if 1 sheet breaks you still have the other which may or may not be true with 1 continuous sheet. It is best because people say it is so.
That said, we use a knot which is essentially a double lined half hitch for the clew a single line for both sheets. It rarely hangs up on our shrouds but this may vary from rig to rig.
Try using a single sheet and see if it helps.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2010

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
The C&C I'm looking at has a freakin' huge 180, a smaller 150 and a storm. I think I might be sailing with the little storm hankie for a while if I get it.

Old 03-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A 180 is not a very practical sail, the 150 will do you for a lot of island cruising. Ideally you might like a 120-135 as a versatile compromise eventually.

Trying to sail the boat in light airs with a 'storm'jib will just be frustrating. Most likely, though, it'll be a 100% working jib.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Again, it depends on where you're sailing. In some areas, like Buzzards Bay, where the afternoon breezes regularly break 20 knots... a 180% genny is ludicrous... but in areas where the winds are typically much lighter it might be a choice. Personally, I'd rather go with a smaller genny, say a 135% and get an asym for lighter air.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-29-2010
Almost land locked sailor

Freshbreeze is on a distinguished road
CalebD,

Thanks for the reply! I have always gone for double sheets as described for saftey reasons. I also carry spare lines on-board that could be used as 'back-up lines'. Better start a new thread on this!

Thanks
Old 03-29-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
The C&C I'm looking at has a freakin' huge 180, a smaller 150 and a storm. I think I might be sailing with the little storm hankie for a while if I get it.
Paul,
Go pick up or check out a copy of Bob Perry's book. In explaining his own designs, there's a lot of great info about hull forms, sail plans, how race rules from different eras influenced all the above. It will answer many of your questions.

Yacht Design According to Perry: My Boats and What Shaped Them

(Your C&C will fall under the category of IOR rule influenced boats.)
Old 03-29-2010

Capttman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capttman
Does the new boat have a roller furling system? that may make it easier for you to sail. The principles of sailing is the same, balancing the helm may be a bit different. Good luck and have fun with the new classic..