Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Lost in the reefs

Ok, not literally I am learning a lot so far and getting the hang of things pretty quick but still have a long way to go. The only basic thing remaining where I am lost at is reefing sails. I am having a hard time finding some good explanations on the net regarding "reefing" sails. I have read things enough to know it can be crucial to know how to reef a sail in strong wind situations. If someone here can be kind enough to shed a little light on this for me, at least the basics I think that would help me out a lot here. Better yet, point me to an illustration or video (as I have not found any yet) that could help. There was a couple on youtube but just did not really explain it clearly. Thanks a bunch!

DISREGARD THIS POST: sorry, I just found a good thread regarding reefing the mainsail right here on the site but found it through google.

Last edited by sailguy40; 04-17-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-17-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Ok, not literally I am learning a lot so far and getting the hang of things pretty quick but still have a long way to go. The only basic thing remaining where I am lost at is reefing sails. I am having a hard time finding some good explanations on the net regarding "reefing" sails. I have read things enough to know it can be crucial to know how to reef a sail in strong wind situations. If someone here can be kind enough to shed a little light on this for me, at least the basics I think that would help me out a lot here. Better yet, point me to an illustration or video (as I have not found any yet) that could help. There was a couple on youtube but just did not really explain it clearly. Thanks a bunch!
There's not much to reefing a mainsail. Loosen the main halyard so you can hook the large stainless grommet at the luff over your reef hook, then tighten up the main halyard...that takes care of the front of the sail. Next tighten up the reefing line that is associated with the luff grommet (if you have them), and that takes care of the back of the sail. Next tie up the reefing ties around the boom, and you're all done. That's the basics of reefing a mainsail with the above setup.
Old 04-17-2010

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't tie the reefing lines around the boom. They go under the sail itself......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The nettles, lines going through the reefing points, should only be tied around the sail if you have a loose-footed sail... this reduces the chances of tearing the sail if you forget to untie them when shaking out the reef.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I wouldn't tie the reefing lines around the boom. They go under the sail itself......i2f
I was thinking about my setup which is 'not' a loose footed main...I guess I should have been more specific.
Old 04-19-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys thanks for the additional tips. I think I am going to go ahead and try to reef it next time I go out even if it does not need to be done. This way when it does really need to be done, I will know how to do it. I do have reefing lines on my sail, just two of them. I think I got the concept now, should not be a problem.
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, generally don't recommend tying the nettles unless you're going to be sailing reefed for a fairly long time or the bunt of the sail is causing visibility problems or flogging around. If you've got lazy jacks, the bunt of the reefed sail probably won't be much of an issue.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-20-2010

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
Just another, lossen the main halyard and place the cringle on the tack of the sail to the reefing hook but, don't retighten the main halyard yet, pull in the reefing line on the clew to raise the boom then, retighten the main halyard. This works better for me on my boat may on yours to.
Old 04-20-2010

tweitz is on a distinguished road
It is definitely a good idea to try it when you don;t need it; this way you will be ready when you need it. The comments you have already received were right for their systems, but there are variations. If you have slab or jiffy reefing, you may not have a hook on the mast. Instead, assuming it is single line reefing, for each reef point there will be a line that runs from wherever it starts (often a line stopper on the coachroof) to a block at the base of the mast, then up to the cringle in the sail or a turning block affixed to the sail, then back down to a block at the boom, through the boom to the clew of the sail and back up to either a turning block or cringles at the aft end of the sail and then back down to the boom where it is tied off. There will be a separate line and separate cringles and blocks for each reef point. In this case, all you do is loosen the halyard and let the sail drop and haul in on the reefing line. It should put tension on both the forward and aft portion of the sail and once it is tight to the boom, you retension the halyard. You almost always have to head into the wind to do this. And remember the old adage, the time to reef is when you first think about it. it is always easier to shake out a reef than to put one in once the weather has gotten fierce.
Old 04-20-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"And remember the old adage, the time to reef is when you first think about it."
AMEN.

If anyone thinks, let alone asks, "Should we reef yet?" the answer is that you should have already done it.

If you can dig up a set of VPP tables (polars) for your boat, you may also find that you will get better boatspeed and less heeling by reefing far earlier than you think is necessary, often in as little as 12-14 knots unless you're really sailing a lightly canvassed brick.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.