Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010

aqwert5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey aq - first, congrats on getting out there and doing it!

Second, let me encourage you to do a write-up of your experience when you get a chance. There are so many people always asking about how to get started that it would be great to point them to this thread so they can see exactly how someone did it.
I'll try to write something next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010

legarots is on a distinguished road
For BKB, I took the instructor out for lunch at the end. For multi-day trips, I did tip what came about to be 5-10% of the course fee. But in those cases, I thought the instructor did a really nice job.
Old 04-27-2010
SeaLife Sailing

SeaLifeSailing is on a distinguished road
As the owner / operator of a private sailing school, I don't even remotely expect tips, and to me, a positive testimonial or a referral is far more valuable. However, as the owner, I am better rewarded for my efforts than a hired instructor would be (although my financial risks are much higher). In the case where you attend a sailing school where the instructor is paid an hourly or daily wage, I would say that if the instructor exceeds your expectations, surprising him or her with a gratuity would be most appreciated, but never expected. Remember, the amount of training and expense required to become a certified sailing instructor is significant, and the pay they recieve is fairly modest. Meanwhile, the difference between a very good instructor and an indifferent one is huge in terms of your perception of the sport - why not reward someone who's gone out of their way to make your experience overwhelmingly positive?
Old 04-28-2010
Sloopy

sailsail is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sailsail
You don't have to tip the instructor, I have never expected a tip.
Although I have had parents of unruly kids tip me, even when their kid never did anything wrong.
Old 03-13-2015
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Do I tip the instructor?

I just stumbled upon this thread after five years, and I would like to set the record straight.

Because, as a sailing instructor, I now know what the instructors have to deal with, I've gone full circle on this. I have worked exclusively teaching sailing for the last two years.

The legal requirements to teach sailing include getting a USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (captain's license), and attending a certification course for the sailing body that you will teach under (US Sailing / ASA / other).

Unlike JRP's experience, I find that the pay is modest and hourly, and only for the actual class time, or 8 hours per day (whichever is less). Class preparation, boat setup and boat put away are not paid time, and for overnight classes, you are not paid for more than 8 hours.

As an example, one school where I have worked charges >$75/hr per person with a minimum of 2 people for 2 hours. I see about 10% of the total, regardless of how many people are in the class.

While I GREATLY appreciate when I do receive a tip, I do not expect it, nor do I mention it when I don't receive one. The tips that I have seen for the 2 hour lesson example above have ranged from $0 (I had two students that not only didn't tip, but later learned that they took my new bottle of SPF-50 sunblock!) to $50 per person, with $20 being most common.

Vern and John, I figure that I owe you about $200 each!
Tempest likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-13-2015
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Instructor typically get about $20/hour, so $ income is at best a limited compensation for the experience and energy delivered by a good instructor. The students' sincere appreciation for a job well done is the greater compensation and a tip (or gift of any kind) is an excellent way to express that appreciation. Do what you feel right and you wont offend anyone...
Tempest likes this.
Old 03-13-2015

paikea is on a distinguished road

I actually had this question myself not long ago in some courses. In the end we treated the instructor on the last night on the boat with an awesome meal at the pub on the marina, and then personally I sent him some photos I took of him (photography being a big hobby for me) and some GoPro videos with him keeping is all safe when the winds went a little crazy and we were all holding on for dear life.
Man is the dream of the dolphin.”
Old 03-13-2015
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

For overnight courses, it IS expected that the class will either provision or pick up the tab for the instructor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 03-13-2015

paikea is on a distinguished road

Not in the UK, at least not with the school I am with, it was all clearly organised in terms of what is covered by the student and what not, that night we were supposed to cook dinner on the boat actually, but we said instead lets go out and we paid for the instructor.
Man is the dream of the dolphin.”
Old 03-13-2015

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

I can't recall ever being temped to tip a teacher or professor.

What is this compulsion, or is it guilt, about tipping anyone who deals with the public?
* Mechanic?
* Tax preparer?
* Trash collector?
* West Marine Check-out clerk?

Is the guy under paid? Well, then he should try something else.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.