where would i find a manual on my sailboat to learn how to sail her on my own - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
If your goal is only to sail your boat a few times, then you should be able to find an experienced sailor to sail with you and keep you out of trouble. On the other hand, if you really want to be able to sail your boat by yourself, then you might want to go through a course like those taught at Annapolis Sailing School (where your boat originally came from). Your problem is bigger than can be learned in a couple lessons. To safely sail your boat by yourself you not only need to know how to rig and sail your boat, but minimally how to navigate (piloting), and know the rules of the road.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Use a crew list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk11blue View Post
any input on where abouts i could do these "lessons" and how many would i need, i wouldnt figure many, im a pretty smart woman and catch on real fast. would it be better to find an experienced sailor in my area that would like to show me the ropes and give me pointers ADVICE please... all of you guys are great. what would be the best route?
There are at least two Crew Lists on the Web in San Francisco. Latitude 38 and SF Sailing. I'm listed as a Skipper on both, and take novices out all the time. If there is one in your area, make sure you contact Skippers. Don't just put your name on the list and wait for a call. I've developed a list of over 30 people who get emailed when I'm going out and have room on the boat (often). Cal Sailing in Berkely CA is a very cost effective way to learn to sail. You could also put your name on boards in Marinas and Yacht Clubs, but I think the Crew List is the most effective route, short of taking lessons. US Sailing also has good interactive (free) instruction on the Web, where you can learn the rules of the road, and get some basic understanding of whats going on. Then... things will make more sense when you get on a boat! I think someone already mentioned the book "The Complete Sailor" by Seidman, but it's a great little book.

Last edited by L124C; 04-21-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2010

mk11blue is on a distinguished road
okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
There are at least two Crew Lists on the Web in San Francisco. Latitude 38 and SF Sailing. I'm listed as a Skipper on both, and take novices out all the time. If there is one in your area, make sure you contact Skippers. Don't just put your name on the list and wait for a call. I've developed a list of over 30 people who get emailed when I'm going out and have room on the boat (often). Cal Sailing in Berkely CA is a very cost effective way to learn to sail. You could also put your name on boards in Marinas and Yacht Clubs, but I think the Crew List is the most effective route, short of taking lessons. US Sailing also has good interactive (free) instruction on the Web, where you can learn the rules of the road, and get some basic understanding on whats going on. Then, things will make more sense when you get on a boat!
im in florida so i like the idea about putting my name up with the Marinas and Yacht Clubs. i'll do some research on the web too. thank you!
Old 04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If your goal is only to sail your boat a few times, then you should be able to find an experienced sailor to sail with you and keep you out of trouble. On the other hand, if you really want to be able to sail your boat by yourself, then you might want to go through a course like those taught at Annapolis Sailing School (where your boat originally came from). Your problem is bigger than can be learned in a couple lessons. To safely sail your boat by yourself you not only need to know how to rig and sail your boat, but minimally how to navigate (piloting), and know the rules of the road.

Jeff
i will buy another boat in the future so i might as well learn how to sail alone now while i have her
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
If you're thinking about buying a boat in the future, it might make more sense to keep this one, since it is one that you're somewhat familiar with. Selling a boat and then buying another is generally an expensive way to do things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-21-2010

Unhappy understood, however

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
If you're thinking about buying a boat in the future, it might make more sense to keep this one, since it is one that you're somewhat familiar with. Selling a boat and then buying another is generally an expensive way to do things.

i love this boat however i am in a predicament in which i am now alone with my two year old and bills are piling up, the slip is getting to be much and im already behind...dont mean to air things out here but i feel as if i have no other choice and also have to do everything on my own with no help. thats life
Old 04-21-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk11blue View Post
i love this boat however i am in a predicament in which i am now alone with my two year old and bills are piling up, the slip is getting to be much and I'm already behind...dont mean to air things out here but i feel as if i have no other choice and also have to do everything on my own with no help. thats life
I was going to ask how it was that you had a boat, and had never sailed it, but I'm starting to get the picture . Hate to break it to you, but it's a terrible time to sell a boat (or almost anything for that matter) Good season, bad economy. If you have to sell it in the near future, I would think now is the time to do it (though I don't know the Florida market). Maybe you could consider taking on a partner with the boat (maybe they'd even know how to sail!), via, Craig's List "Boats" or your local sailing publications (using all the precautions of course).
I'll be surprised if there isn't a crew list in your area. In fact, here is one (I found in a quick search) in Biscayne. Crew Lists
When I mentioned the crew list idea, I didn't realize you were the OP (Original Poster) who had the boat. You could reverse engineer the process. List yourself as a Skipper (in this case, boat owner), who needs crew who know how to sail. This is what I did when I got my first boat. I had extensive Windsurfing experience, and some experience crewing (through Crew List), but needed someone who was confident with a larger boat. Worked really well, in fact, I've had several people crew who teach at local sailing schools! All the respondents had a fair amount of experience or had owned boats of their own. If your boat has an Owners Association (check the Web) it might be very helpful as well.
All the best!

Last edited by L124C; 04-21-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Did I get a prize???
Yep...Here it is.. Atta Boy!

Now just keep taking your happy pills would ya..were getting tire of reminding you..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 04-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
I was going to ask how it was that you had a boat, and had never sailed it, but I'm starting to get the picture . Hate to break it to you, but it's a terrible time to sell a boat (or almost anything for that matter) Good season, bad economy. If you have to sell it in the near future, I would think now is the time to do it (though I don't know the Florida market). Maybe you could consider taking on a partner with the boat (maybe they'd even know how to sail!), via, Craig's List "Boats" or your local sailing publications (using all the precautions of course).
I'll be surprised if there isn't a crew list in your area. In fact, here is one (I found in a quick search) in Biscayne. Crew Lists
When I mentioned the crew list idea, I didn't realize you were the OP (Original Poster) who had the boat. You could reverse engineer the process. List yourself as a Skipper (in this case, boat owner), who needs crew who know how to sail. This is what I did when I got my first boat. I had extensive Windsurfing experience, and some experience crewing (through Crew List), but needed someone who was confident with a larger boat. Worked really well, in fact, I've had several people crew who teach at local sailing schools! All the respondents had a fair amount of experience or had owned boats of their own. If your boat has an Owners Association (check the Web) it might be very helpful as well.
All the best!
thank you for your input, wonderful advice. it has been Extremely hard and selling her seems like my only choice, it is real crummy. i was just thinking about how carefree i feel when im out on her and long for that escape. selling her wont solve all my problems but be a mere band aid, which should stop the "bleeding" for a moment. Unfortunately my husband was three months behind on the slip(which he failed to mention so i had no clue) and that has forced me to sell her. its just a horrible thing to deal with. i wish i had my own slip! then she would stay with me setting all of that aside, once again, thank you for your input!
Old 04-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing that you might be able to do is find a private dock to keep the boat at. There are quite a few of those in florida and many are unoccupied and the owners are often willing to let you use them for very little money. That might be an option that would let you keep the boat until things get better.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.