SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

where would i find a manual on my sailboat to learn how to sail her on my own

4K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  mk11blue 
#1 ·
i have an Annapolis 1976 26' sailboat and am interested in taking her out alone before i am forced to sell her. Can any one help me to locate a manual of such to teach me how to sail her? Any feedback would be appreciated

#2 ·
I would recommend Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor. It is about $16 at a local bookstore and one of the best sailing primers I've seen to date. I'd point out that there is rarely a manual for how to sail a given specific boat, since most of the sailing skills are very generalized and apply to almost any boat. Even boats with different rigs—gaff, gunter, ketch, cutter, schooner, cat, etc—can generally be sailed by a sailor with experience on a different type of sailboat with only a short bit of experimenting and learning.

However, IMHO it would be less painful and faster for you to take even a brief learn to sail course rather than try and learn from a book.

#4 ·
?

I would recommend Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor. It is about $16 at a local bookstore and one of the best sailing primers I've seen to date. I'd point out that there is rarely a manual for how to sail a given specific boat, since most of the sailing skills are very generalized and apply to almost any boat. Even boats with different rigs-gaff, gunter, ketch, cutter, schooner, cat, etc-can generally be sailed by a sailor with experience on a different type of sailboat with only a short bit of experimenting and learning.

However, IMHO it would be less painful and faster for you to take even a brief learn to sail course rather than try and learn from a book.
okay, this may sound silly to some but what is "IMHO"

#5 ·
IMHO= In my humble opinion.

Dog That was a very Nobel post....well done!...Good on you sir.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I would add that a couple of outings with an experienced sailor along to show you the ropes and keep an eye on you would not be a bad idea prior to you singlehanding the boat.

#8 ·
my first solo was alone with no experience but desire and common sense and... in light wind. Nothing can go wrong except staying on land and reading books. Follow the ropes ,they usually lead to things called sails! Oh,and you have a motor if you freak out...

#10 ·
quick lessons?

any input on where abouts i could do these "lessons" and how many would i need, i wouldnt figure many, im a pretty smart woman and catch on real fast. would it be better to find an experienced sailor in my area that would like to show me the ropes and give me pointers ADVICE please... all of you guys are great. what would be the best route?

#12 · (Edited)
Use a crew list

any input on where abouts i could do these "lessons" and how many would i need, i wouldnt figure many, im a pretty smart woman and catch on real fast. would it be better to find an experienced sailor in my area that would like to show me the ropes and give me pointers ADVICE please... all of you guys are great. what would be the best route?
There are at least two Crew Lists on the Web in San Francisco. Latitude 38 and SF Sailing. I'm listed as a Skipper on both, and take novices out all the time. If there is one in your area, make sure you contact Skippers. Don't just put your name on the list and wait for a call. I've developed a list of over 30 people who get emailed when I'm going out and have room on the boat (often). Cal Sailing in Berkely CA is a very cost effective way to learn to sail. You could also put your name on boards in Marinas and Yacht Clubs, but I think the Crew List is the most effective route, short of taking lessons. US Sailing also has good interactive (free) instruction on the Web, where you can learn the rules of the road, and get some basic understanding of whats going on. Then... things will make more sense when you get on a boat! I think someone already mentioned the book "The Complete Sailor" by Seidman, but it's a great little book.

#11 ·
If your goal is only to sail your boat a few times, then you should be able to find an experienced sailor to sail with you and keep you out of trouble. On the other hand, if you really want to be able to sail your boat by yourself, then you might want to go through a course like those taught at Annapolis Sailing School (where your boat originally came from). Your problem is bigger than can be learned in a couple lessons. To safely sail your boat by yourself you not only need to know how to rig and sail your boat, but minimally how to navigate (piloting), and know the rules of the road.

Jeff

#14 ·
If your goal is only to sail your boat a few times, then you should be able to find an experienced sailor to sail with you and keep you out of trouble. On the other hand, if you really want to be able to sail your boat by yourself, then you might want to go through a course like those taught at Annapolis Sailing School (where your boat originally came from). Your problem is bigger than can be learned in a couple lessons. To safely sail your boat by yourself you not only need to know how to rig and sail your boat, but minimally how to navigate (piloting), and know the rules of the road.

Jeff
i will buy another boat in the future so i might as well learn how to sail alone now while i have her

#15 ·
If you're thinking about buying a boat in the future, it might make more sense to keep this one, since it is one that you're somewhat familiar with. Selling a boat and then buying another is generally an expensive way to do things.

#16 ·
understood, however

i love this boat however i am in a predicament in which i am now alone with my two year old and bills are piling up, the slip is getting to be much and im already behind...dont mean to air things out here but i feel as if i have no other choice and also have to do everything on my own with no help. thats life

#20 ·
One thing that you might be able to do is find a private dock to keep the boat at. There are quite a few of those in florida and many are unoccupied and the owners are often willing to let you use them for very little money. That might be an option that would let you keep the boat until things get better.

#22 ·
putting an ad on craigslist might be a good start.

#24 ·
Glad to help. I hate to see a person lose a loved boat if it can be avoided.

#26 ·
mk11-
Depending on where you are and what the local options are, you MIGHT find that a local boat club or yacht club has dockage or moorings available for less than where you are. In any case, moorings are usually less expensive than dockage, even private dockage.
I'd suggest that the keys to sailing alone are preparation and anticipation. If you try to think ten minutes ahead...that gives you time to get the fenders out, docklines, reef before you need it...And make a point to run down extra safety factors before you go out. Like leaving a float plan with someone, making sure you have a handheld VHF in the cockpit, and (yes) I'll even stick my cell phone in a ziplock bag in my belt pouch. I wouldn't be the first guy that made a call literally FROM the water.
Something that works on a 26' boat is also a "jib downhaul" if you don't have a roller jib. A light line that runs from the head of the jib, down the forestay, through a pulley and then aft, so you can literally hual the jib or genoa down, singlehanded from the cockpit, if the wind picks up and you don't want to go forward. Leaves a mess of sail on the foredeck--but sometimes that's OK too.
Good luck!

#27 ·
i am still looking for a private slip or docking area for my 26' sloop and have become unsuccessful. i am still looking. i live in central florida in the sanford area. if anyone knows anyone who has such a thing, let me know km_0110@yahoo.com still trying to locate on so i can Sail my boat and not have to sell her. HELP ME SAVE MY BOAT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.