where would i find a manual on my sailboat to learn how to sail her on my own - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010

mk11blue is on a distinguished road
Red face where would i find a manual on my sailboat to learn how to sail her on my own

i have an Annapolis 1976 26' sailboat and am interested in taking her out alone before i am forced to sell her. Can any one help me to locate a manual of such to teach me how to sail her? Any feedback would be appreciated
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor. It is about $16 at a local bookstore and one of the best sailing primers I've seen to date. I'd point out that there is rarely a manual for how to sail a given specific boat, since most of the sailing skills are very generalized and apply to almost any boat. Even boats with different rigs—gaff, gunter, ketch, cutter, schooner, cat, etc—can generally be sailed by a sailor with experience on a different type of sailboat with only a short bit of experimenting and learning.

However, IMHO it would be less painful and faster for you to take even a brief learn to sail course rather than try and learn from a book.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-19-2010

thank you for that! appreciated!
Old 04-19-2010

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I would recommend Dave Seidman's book, The Complete Sailor. It is about $16 at a local bookstore and one of the best sailing primers I've seen to date. I'd point out that there is rarely a manual for how to sail a given specific boat, since most of the sailing skills are very generalized and apply to almost any boat. Even boats with different rigs—gaff, gunter, ketch, cutter, schooner, cat, etc—can generally be sailed by a sailor with experience on a different type of sailboat with only a short bit of experimenting and learning.

However, IMHO it would be less painful and faster for you to take even a brief learn to sail course rather than try and learn from a book.
okay, this may sound silly to some but what is "IMHO"
Old 04-20-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
IMHO= In my humble opinion.

Dog That was a very Nobel post....well done!...Good on you sir.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 04-20-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Did I get a prize???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
IMHO= In my humble opinion.

Dog That was a very Nobel post....well done!...Good on you sir.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-20-2010
Telstar 28

I would add that a couple of outings with an experienced sailor along to show you the ropes and keep an eye on you would not be a bad idea prior to you singlehanding the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-20-2010

kredit is on a distinguished road
my first solo was alone with no experience but desire and common sense and... in light wind. Nothing can go wrong except staying on land and reading books. Follow the ropes ,they usually lead to things called sails! Oh,and you have a motor if you freak out...
Old 04-20-2010

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kredit View Post
my first solo was alone with no experience but desire and common sense and... in light wind. Nothing can go wrong except staying on land and reading books. Follow the ropes ,they usually lead to things called sails! Oh,and you have a motor if you freak out...
oh yeah. the motor....good back up plan. i think i'll place her in a different slip then, because i would be a little worried maneuvering around in the area she was in.

i just love being out there! just never sailed on my own.
Old 04-21-2010

quick lessons?

any input on where abouts i could do these "lessons" and how many would i need, i wouldnt figure many, im a pretty smart woman and catch on real fast. would it be better to find an experienced sailor in my area that would like to show me the ropes and give me pointers ADVICE please... all of you guys are great. what would be the best route?