Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2010

RXBOT is on a distinguished road
Relocated

SD relocated your lake to the California coast and now you have a bigger Cat island to hide behind.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
In either case, looking at the charts and studying the various anchorages that the island has, regardless of name, should generally give you an idea of what is feasible and what is not.

Going with slightly oversized ground tackle is never a bad idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-26-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for all the responses its a tremendous help! I probably should have been more clear and said Cat Island, MS. I was planning on doing this trip 2 days there and 1 day back from n.o. marina or southshore harbor. For example, sail for 6-8 hrs then anchor in one of the many inland waterways through the rigolets or near the shore of little lake. The rigolets is a good halfway point. Next morning proceed another 6-8 hrs to cat island. I am just roughly estimating the distance and time, I am not planning on doing this for a couple of months. I will do a halfway trip to the rigolets and back before I head to cat island just to give me a better idea of what to expect. This is about the most of cruising I plan (notice I said plan ) to do with my boat, trips to the gulf islands for a night or two and back. Since most of them are only approximately 15nm south of ms, it seems to be a good starter cruise for someone like me in my area. I have attached a pic of my boat and you can see the anchor on the front, as of now thats the only one I have. It seems to be a wise choice to get a heavier one and have that onboard as well. I will definitely checkout some maps to see where some good anchorages could be. When I do decide to do this little cruise, I will post a thread around here about it. Not to mention I will have tons of photos and video, on the water photography is also one of my things.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchoring-my-oday-22-0-00-03-05_3.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
Sailguy, there are several good anchor spots in the area you mention...
PM me for further suggestions.

“I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning how to sail my ship.”
Louisa May Alcott
Old 04-27-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Your anchor is of the Danforth type and looks to be appropriately sized for your vessel. They are reliable and easy to handle and should keep you safe if properly set in well-chosen conditions (they can be picky). Follow the advice here and elsewhere about where to anchor carefully and get as much information as you can about how your anchor works (the literature and internet-style opinions on this topic are without limit).
Old 04-27-2010

janmayen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to janmayen
From the image I suggest you do not have a chain. If Winds stay calm it is ok that way. But I would prefer to have at somewhat around 30-40 ft. of chain. It helps the anchor to a much better holding, and that makes the nights be much more relexing.
As mentioned the anchor looks appropriate for your boat and I would not be in doubt to trust it.

Old 04-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Personally, I wouldn't trust a Danforth, even an oversized one, in a reversing current/wind situation. There are a lot of anchors that are far better suited for use as a primary anchor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-28-2010

skippertips is on a distinguished road
Hi,
I was volunteer crew aboard a Catalina 27 a while back. We were anchored in a mooring field near a seawall. Overnight, the wind shifted, a full gale came up with gusts up to 50 knots.

We dragged, crashed into the seawall. The boat sank to the spreaders in 20 minutes. The domino of events that created this disaster are too numerous to name, but here are a few things I would pass on to you.

Do not trust a Danforth as your only anchor. They are superb anchors--no doubt. As long as they stay dug in. But they do not reset quick enough for my taste. Once they break out, they have a tendency to "sail" over a hard bottom. The owner on the Catalina carried only Danforths, sized properly for the boat.

All anchors break out. The books will tell you to make sure that your anchor gets buried to the shank. But the point is, you can get any anchor to drag. And most anchors will drag. But you want that anchor to reset fast. And that's the #1 most important criteria in my mind.

On the boats I've owned, I used the Bruce as my primary anchor, a heavy Luke anchor as a storm anchor, and Danforths for lunch hooks. I like the Bruce's ability to reset super fast. My boat was a Cape Dory 27, and she was equipped with a 16.5 and 22 pound Bruce, 40 pound Luke, and 12 pound high-tensile Danforth. I rarely used the Danforth.

I don't recall ever having a problem dragging with the Bruces. I did have a heavy Westsail 32 drag down onto me at 2am in the morning in Chesapeake Bay. I was anchored on the 16.5 Bruce. It didn't budge.

But the Bruce isn't the only kid on the block. The Delta, CQR , and Rocna all have superb reputations as quick re-setters. Hope that helps.

Captain John

Last edited by skippertips; 04-28-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Capt John, now that is some scary stuff there! I will get one more type in addition to the danforth, maybe I will checkout those other types you mention. I figure it can't hurt to keep another onboard just in case.
Old 04-29-2010
Telstar 28

I'd recommend getting either a Rocna or a Manson Supreme for use as your primary anchor. I've used both, but own the Rocna, mainly because I think it is better constructed and designed.

However, I'd point out that anchor discussions can get awfully heated and are almost as bad as when hackers discuss linux distros...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Capt John, now that is some scary stuff there! I will get one more type in addition to the danforth, maybe I will checkout those other types you mention. I figure it can't hurt to keep another onboard just in case.

Telstar 28
New England