Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Where is the boat, and where are you moving it to?

Is it at a private club, or pubic dock where you might be able to ask the dockmaster, etc. if there's someone who could take you out to get you familiar with it? Or someone local who wouldn't mind helping you move it?

Many sailors will be glad to lend a hand in exchange for some time on the water and lunch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-28-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
MK, I've been following some of your threads but don't remember all the details of your boat.

Could you describe the setup?

What kind of motor does she have? Diesel inboard, or gas outboard? If it's an outboard, does it have an electric start or a pull cord? If you're not sure about these things, let us know and we can help you figure it out.

I second all the advice to get an experienced sailor to help you out. In the meantime you might as well learn as much as you can, so that when the experienced sailor comes along and pulls all the magic ropes and pushes the magic buttons, it will be at least a little familiar to you.
Old 04-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I was pointing out the Special Interest thread so that he doesn't get banned... it applies to all marine industry people... and the link he had in his sig appears to be a commercial website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk1 View Post
the guy was just stating his quals, saildog. settle down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLein View Post
What kind of motor does she have? Diesel inboard, or gas outboard?
After a bit more looking I find your mention that she has a Yanmar diesel. I don't have much experience with inboards but as I recall, it requires ventilating the engine compartment, turning a key, and pushing and holding a button as the starter motor cranks the engine, similar to how you start your car except that the "button" in the car's startup system is that more-distant position you briefly turn the key into. The key and button are on a panel usually located in the cockpit or beneath the companionway hatch.

Also unlike a car, the batteries will probably need to be switched on manually for this work; the switch is usually housed on a bright red circular box about the size of a hamburger, typically mounted on a wall in the engine compartment. There will probably be multiple settings on this switch; "ALL" or "BOTH" is a safe bet for starting the motor. Leave the switch alone as long as the motor is running.

Also unlike a car, I mentioned something about ventilating the engine compartment. I was taught in my sailing course that a fan/blower in the engine compartment must be run for four minutes before starting the motor engine, to make sure there are no explosive fumes in there. I'm pretty sure I've seen inboard people skip this step, but cannot recommend it as I just don't have enough experience with this sort of engine. The diesel folks on the forum will have more detailed advice, I'm sure.

edit: one very important thing I forgot is that the engine must be in neutral with the throttle somewhat open while you're starting the motor.

Last edited by AdamLein; 04-28-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2010

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I mentioned something about ventilating the engine compartment. I was taught in my sailing course that a fan/blower in the engine compartment must be run for four minutes before starting the motor engine, to make sure there are no explosive fumes in there.
Not needed for a Diesel. Gas - yes, Diesel - no.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Old 04-28-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Adam—

I believe this is only for gasoline powered inboard engines... not generally needed on diesels or gasoline powered outboards.

Quote:
After a bit more looking I find your mention that she has a Yanmar diesel. I don't have much experience with inboards but as I recall, it requires ventilating the engine compartment, turning a key, and pushing and holding a button as the starter motor cranks the engine, similar to how you start your car except that the "button" in the car's startup system is that more-distant position you briefly turn the key into. The key and button are on a panel usually located in the cockpit or beneath the companionway hatch.

Also unlike a car, the batteries will probably need to be switched on manually for this work; the switch is usually housed on a bright red circular box about the size of a hamburger, typically mounted on a wall in the engine compartment. There will probably be multiple settings on this switch; "ALL" or "BOTH" is a safe bet for starting the motor. Leave the switch alone as long as the motor is running.

Also unlike a car, I mentioned something about ventilating the engine compartment. I was taught in my sailing course that a fan/blower in the engine compartment must be run for four minutes before starting the motor engine, to make sure there are no explosive fumes in there. I'm pretty sure I've seen inboard people skip this step, but cannot recommend it as I just don't have enough experience with this sort of engine. The diesel folks on the forum will have more detailed advice, I'm sure.

edit: one very important thing I forgot is that the engine must be in neutral with the throttle somewhat open while you're starting the motor.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-28-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
I thought it was also to clear any possibility of a propane leak, fumes from the leaking dinghy gas can, etc. Am I mistaken?
Old 04-28-2010

True - I have also heard that diesel doesn't produce explosive fumes the way gas does. Forgot about that.

As for propane and dinghy gas... I imagine the engine compartment should be sealed against permeation by that sort of stuff. Proper stowage of tanks should ensure that. Still, it's a valid point and something to check for on an unfamiliar boat.
Old 04-28-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
As far as I know, the only thing 'sealed' in a boat is a propane locker, but you still have a feed hose that runs to the oven and/or heater which could leak. Leaks anywhere else collect in the bilge (other than CNG).

Just because I'm paranoid......

Last edited by ottos; 04-28-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2010

Fair enough. Good point about the hoses, and, better safe than sorry.