Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010

mk11blue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin56 View Post
mk maybe if you post your location one of the many helpful sailneters is in your area and willing to meet you at the boat for an hour to assist in figuring out the basics.
Way to many variables to catch you. Forget to open one valve ( or not know it's there) and by by engine.

If you in the Tampa Bay area I'll step up.

Dan

wow great grammer...
make that If your in the Tampa Bay are...
currently in titusville and looking for a lower costing slip. im trying to keep her on the east coast but if i did need to move her to the west coast CENTRAL whats the estimated sail time on that?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2010
SeaLife Sailing

SeaLifeSailing is on a distinguished road
Sympathetic

Seriously, there are oodles and oodles of people out there who would be willing to help you at no charge, just to have a bit of sunshine on their eye and hear the splash of water on a hull.

If you decide you need to do this on your own, here are a few pointers.

Change the oil in advance - a new filter and clean oil saves wear and tear on the engine.

Check your engine zincs and change them if they are not strong.

Clean your fuel filters, or consider changing them - there is probably an external fuel filter, and there may be an internal one inline before your fuel injector pump - this may require bleeding the air out of your injector lines. If the boat doesn't have a service manual, your local diesel service company can likely provide you with one for a nominal fee.

Check your belts - if they are cracked, they need to be replaced.

Check or change your water impellor - this is a little rubber pump that moves the cooling water through the engine cooling system. If it doesn't appear perferct, replace it, or just buy one in advance for a few bucks and replace it as a matter of course, annually. Prudent boaters change this every year - it is the cheapest insurance you can buy to protect your engine.

Check your raw water strainer and ensure that it is not blocked.

Make sure that your through-hull water inlet is in the 'open' position, to ensure that cold water flows through your cooling system.

Add some fuel stabilizers to your diesel... Some cetane booster, diesel biocide if your boat has been sitting a while, fuel stabilizer, etc to ensure that your fuel burns cleanly...

But I most emphatically encourage you to find a local, knowledgeable boater to assist you in your boat move who is prepared to deal with 'worst-case, what-if's' This need not be an expensive proposition.

Best of Luck to you!!

Jeremy
Lancer 36
s/v 'Ma Provence'
Old 04-29-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
mk, if you could post some pictures, even cell phone pictures, that would help. Don't be embarassed about forgetting things. I think most of the sailors I know always forget something--often something useful or important--on the first couple of sails of the year. And I think the rest simply lie about not having forgotten anything.

There's also nothing wrong with using crib sheets, after all, the world's best trained most experienced pilots don't make a move without "checklists".

Starting your engine...let's see, lets' play 20 questions and if you can't get it going and can't find local help, I'll try to steal a day and come up for a lunchtime shakedown sail with you.

Trying to think very generally about engines....OK, there's a fuel tank shut-off valve coming off the gas tank, often under the cockpit. And sometimes another shut-off in the tank vent line. And sometimes mudwasps or other critters plug the tank vent screen. You need all three of those to be in order, and of course you need fuel in the tank. Gas or diesel as appropriate.

If the fuel was sitting all winter (6 months) without stabilant in it, it may have gone stale and it may or may not start well, if at all. Options there are to drain the tank if you can, otherwise fill it up with good new fuel and hope that's enough to blend it back up to useable.

Your fuel filters and fuel system made new attention (water drains, filter replacements)...if the gods love you, they may be good enough as it is for now.

Rashly ignoring the condition all that stuff may be in, then you need at least one good battery, properly charged and connected with clean connections. If you don't have that--get the battery charged. Ask if you need specifics on that.

Then...it comes close to the point where you remove all dock power, leave just the dock lines tied up and fenders down. Turn on the engine blower if you have one and let it run 5 minutes. Now turn on the master battery switch to "BOTH" if you have two good batteries. If your engine has a "choke" on it, pull out the choke about 1/2 way. Check that the gear select is in neutral (usualy the middle position) and the throttle is at "slow" or "off". Advance the throttle about 1/4-way and press the START button or turn the key to START and hold it for about 5 seconds. If the engine doesn't start, wait another 10 seconds (to cool the starter) and try again for 10 seconds. If it hasn't started, repeat a third time, and if it seems reluctant to start but close--give it some more throttle and fiddle a little with the choke.

If it does catch on, expect a bit of smoke and stumbling from the old fuel. Let it run a bit, maybe 3-5 minutes, and see if you can push in the choke or reduce the throttle to get a smoother idle going.

If you get it to a smooth idle, look at your instruments. Look at the water in your exhaust. See that nothing looks like it is overheating or behaving oddly. then go below (if it is an inboard engine) and take a look with a good flashlight. Are there any obvious leaks? Fluid sprays? Belts moving smoothly?

If it looks good, let it warm up, maybe 15 minutes total. Then try putting it under load (in gear, forward and reverse) while still tied to the dock, to see if it holds under load.

Don't be afraid to make notes or take cell phone pix if there's something you don't understand.

And oh, before you start any of this? Check the OIL LEVEL in the engine, and in the transmission as well. The valve you forgot to open may be the RAW COOLING WATER INLET and yes, that's an important one. If there is a strainer basket in that cooling line, make sure it looks like water can pass through it. Boulliabase likes to grow in water inlets and strainers.

Some folks make a point to take the engine key and tie it to a big red ribbon, and STORE IT ON THE WATER INTAKE VeNT HANDLE. Souds dumb but it also ensures that when you take the key--that important vent is right at hand.

This is why pilots (even those top guns) pull a dozen ribbons marked "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" from those expensive airplanes.

We all make mistakes, the trick is to pay attention and try to make them only once.

With a little help, we'll all get you there.

In terms of trips, some VERY rough numbers:
Titusville to the Okeechobe Canal entrance, 92 nm
Across to the west coast, 112 nm more
up off tampa, 73 more
up into tampa' ne corner, 21 nm more.

About a 300nm trip in all.

Pessimistically, if you have a solid engine and have to motor at 5 knots all the way, that's 60 hours underway, I'd suggest a 4-day trip if everything goes well, 5 days more likely if you at least pull in once or twice to get some sleep and duck the weather. It could easily turn into a week, you'd need to do some detailed planning to work that down.

I might know someone who has some very undeveloped dockage just north on the outside of the entrance to Tampa Bay. He has eventual plans to rent it out. I could ask him, and if that location and situation (NO amenities, etc.) could work for you, I could put him in direct touch. They'll actually be in Tampa the 7th-15th this coming month, I think.

But first, there is the question of what your boat needs to get going.

Here's a thought: Surely there's a West Marine in town? Or other chandlery? A lot of folks work there partly because they love boating. Take a shot in the dark. Tell one of the managers "Look...I've got this boat problem, I need some help, I probably need to spend some money setting it up, I've got no budget...Are any of the folks here willing to make a mercy mission and help a rusty sailor go over a boat for the first time, maybe just in exchange for the day on the water, a bag lunch, and a big thank you?"

YOU MAY BE SURPRISED!
Old 04-30-2010
SeaLife Sailing

SeaLifeSailing is on a distinguished road
Hellosailor has the right idea

I'm going to encourage you to listen to Hellosailor - he has the right approach and attitude. Generously helpful, methodical, informed. Everyone thinks they know a bit about boats; some know more than others. Not to say that even the most experienced don't make mistakes; that's how we learn. But benefit from someone else's extensive library of mistakes made and lessons learned.

Trade skills and willingness.

Just a 'for instance'. I am moving my boat this weekend, 60 miles.

I have a bunch of people who'd like to come along for the mileage, but a few stood out. One couple wants to open a boat detailing business, and are willing to clean my boat for practice. I need to do a bunch of preventative maintenance, and they want to assist, to see what's entailed once they buy a boat with a diesel. They bring a friend who brings provisions and will cook in exchange for the experience of sailing on bigger water. In exchange, he wants to learn about boating safety.

We each offer something of value to the other. Someone experienced will be pleased to help you sort out your boat, just to be of service to the boating community, or because they don't presently own a boat, wish they did and want to go floating.

Share resources. Be creative, yet selective - good luck!!
Lancer 36
s/v 'Ma Provence'
Old 04-30-2010

raisin56 is on a distinguished road
mk, there is your first nibble from hellosailor. Maybe an invite to the best lunch feast in Titusville will real him in. If you want to try for more of a local hand maybe another post with a new title like "Titusville help needed" as I know I always read posts specific to my area.
Moving to the west coast is quite a task and you will probably need another hand along for the trip. I would add another 3 days to hellosailor's 7 making it 10 days. You could easily wait 3 days waiting for Lake Okeechobe to lay down. Timing to make all the bridge openings and locks along the way is going to slow things down as well. That is all loosely using the term "sail time" as the motor will probably do 99% of the trip.
That said I'd love to see another set of sails out on Tampa Bay come on over. We have some great sailing over here.

Dan
Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't believe MK11Blue is looking to move the boat to the Tampa area. I believe all she is looking to do is move the boat from its current location, in an expensive marina, to a less expensive private dock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I don't believe MK11Blue is looking to move the boat to the Tampa area. I believe all she is looking to do is move the boat from its current location, in an expensive marina, to a less expensive private dock.
i have done some research and found that slips on the west coast of florida tend to be less expensive
Old 04-30-2010

Unhappy

last time my boat was in the water running was in feb. i currently have her pulled so i can do a base coat on the hull she'll be back in the water ready to go once i get fully caught up on the slip fee's. this was an unexpected expense since my husband took care of it. and now with one income and a two year old its a bit steep paying 300$ on a slip for a 26' i will definately get some pics to you, i'll go out to her today. just not the same when she's not in the water :**

Last edited by mk11blue; 04-30-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 04-30-2010

Talking by the way

my two year old will not be making a long sail with me until i have it down packed.....he's just a "little sailor" yet

AND HE LOVES IT OUT THERE!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
sounds silly, but how do i start my boat-littlesailor.jpg  

Last edited by mk11blue; 04-30-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
So you are planning on moving the boat to the west coast of FL? My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk11blue View Post
i have done some research and found that slips on the west coast of florida tend to be less expensive

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.