SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   sounds silly, but how do i start my boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/64260-sounds-silly-but-how-do-i-start-my-boat.html)

mk11blue 04-27-2010 10:38 PM

sounds silly, but how do i start my boat

i am going to be moving my 26' annapolis sailboat and am not sure how to start it exactly. i have been in it numerous times just didnt really pay attention when it was started.. any one help out with maybee a website on my boat or how abouts id get her going. i know this sounds silly but hey, im a noob and will soon (hopefully) be sailing my boat instead of selling.

sailingdog 04-27-2010 11:05 PM

Get an experienced sailor to help you.

mk11blue 04-28-2010 12:10 AM

k

makes sense
. you have always helped "sailingdog" and for that, i thank you
i wish you the best!

sailingdog 04-28-2010 08:30 AM

Happy to help. Hopefully, you know at least one or two experienced sailors, maybe friends of your late husband, who can help you. Some may even be familiar with your boat. Good luck.

skippertips 04-28-2010 09:16 AM

Hi,
Totally agree that a friend or coach will help you learn the ropes faster than a structured course. I''ve taught sailing as an ASA instructor and one-on-one. There's nothing quite like one-on-one.

You will pick things up fast. Once you feel comfortable, ask your friend to sit back and let you "single hand" the boat as if he or she weren't aboard. I ended up loving singlehanding so much, I became a die-hard addict. And, you really become a better sailor--more aware and more independent. Good luck!

Captain John

sailingdog 04-28-2010 09:53 AM

Captain Johnó

I would highly recommend you read the Special Interest Full Disclosure thread in the boat buying forum, as I believe it applies to you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by skippertips (Post 598445)
Hi,
Totally agree that a friend or coach will help you learn the ropes faster than a structured course. I''ve taught sailing as an ASA instructor and one-on-one. There's nothing quite like one-on-one.

You will pick things up fast. Once you feel comfortable, ask your friend to sit back and let you "single hand" the boat as if he or she weren't aboard. I ended up loving singlehanding so much, I became a die-hard addict. And, you really become a better sailor--more aware and more independent. Good luck!

Captain John

deniseO30 04-28-2010 11:19 AM

MK, I guess SD knows you personally but, the actual question you asked. Start? As in start the motor? Start sailing? Start piloting the boat?:confused:

I don't know if your friends are that easy to get hold of since they are most likely busy with life. And since it's your boat, there is good reason for you to learn how to, err, um, start. I know the guys mean well.. but geeze I'm sure your not helpless! Hey, you even know how to write! :D

sailingdog 04-28-2010 11:38 AM

D030—

My understanding is that the boat is her late husband's, and that she was not a sailor prior to his passing. She is trying to move the boat from the marina where it is currently to a private dock, if she can find one, in hopes that she'll be able to afford to keep the boat there. She would like to learn to sail the boat, but as of yet does not know how.

I do not know her personally, but am piecing this together based on her posts here on Sailnet. :D

sailingfool 04-28-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mk11blue (Post 598340)
i am going to be moving my 26' annapolis sailboat and am not sure how to start it exactly. i have been in it numerous times just didnt really pay attention when it was started.. any one help out with maybee a website on my boat or how abouts id get her going. i know this sounds silly but hey, im a noob and will soon (hopefully) be sailing my boat instead of selling.

What type of engine?

jbk1 04-28-2010 01:38 PM

the guy was just stating his quals, saildog. settle down.