Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010

Stormrider51 is on a distinguished road
Stuff vs. Fold?

Just thought I'd post a question regarding the storage of jib/genoa sails. I have always just stuffed the sail into the bag. I've read that this can damage the material over time. I know that some advocate folding the sail before putting it in the bag. I have also been told that the repeated folding will weaken the material along the fold lines. I'm seeking opinions on which is the "best" method of getting the sail into the bag. (I also know that the best method is to hang the sail, not keep it in a bag at all. But how many of us actually do this or have enough room ashore?)

Thanks,
John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider51 View Post
I have always just stuffed the sail into the bag.

You sir, deserve to be lashed to the shrouds and flogged.

I have always tried to flake a sail when possible, but in reality, anytime you fold something along the same lines time and time again. you are probably not doing it a favor.

Although stuffing anything except a spinnaker into a bag is really low class.
Really, you should be ashamed.
Old 05-16-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
You really should fold head sails but take care not to fold them on the same line every time. It is a bit of work depending on how far it is to, preferably a nice big chuck of lawn, but most docks will do. They last longer and as a bonus take up less room folded.

Ultimately though UV rays are the big problem so get them bagged or covered ASAP.
Old 05-17-2010
Ex Member

ste27 is on a distinguished road
Roll, don't fold, and don't let your sail roll bend unless you absolutely have to

Spinnakers, stuff all you want - pretty much the only easy way to deal with them
Old 05-17-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Non-nylon sails should be folded or rolled...as it is not practical to roll larger sails, they must be folded. The fold lines pretty well drop out when the sail is hoisted, it not like you need to crease the sail to fold it...As you have to do something to put a sail away, folding is preferably to stuffing, from any perspective, with the benefit that a properly folded sail probably takes up 1/4 the storage space that the same sail requires if stuffed...
Old 05-17-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Do not stuff headsails, ever. Flake them at the very least. Or if you have a sausage bag, roll the headsails/mainsails and store them that way. Rolling is best, flaking is good if you don't have the storage space for rolling, stuffing should be punishable by lashing.
Old 05-17-2010

lapworth is on a distinguished road
I bought a new head sail last year and I did fold it up after the first time out. After that..... well I guess I am in for a lashing when I meet zz.
Old 05-17-2010

Stormrider51 is on a distinguished road
Lap,
With all the talk of lashing, flogging, etc, I almost feel the need to always be armed. Let's see...pistol, cutlass...or both?

John
Old 05-17-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
When the owner of the C&C 115 buys a new #2 for $5000, we flake it nice and pretty....or the beatings continue.
Old 05-18-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Also; when you flake the sail start with wider flakes and then narrow them; this keeps the folds separate and prevents creases when you fold it lengthwise. When you fold it lengthwise; do it lightly and don't cinch down the sail tie tight.

On boom flaked mainsails leave the flakes loose and only put the tie tight enough to keep the sail on top of the boom. Don't cinch tie the sail to the boom; that will crease the sail badly. So many times I see sails that are cinched tight in a pile on the boom within a stack of lazy jacks; and I just shake my head and wonder how much life they are taking out of them. If you use lazy jacks you should not use ties before flaking and correctly flake the sail lightly without the lazy jacks in place after you get to your slip (for many this is too much effort).