Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
They have the boats and people to teach you to daysail.

CGSC Adult Sailing Programs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2010

Shortnsalty is on a distinguished road
thx for the link.
Old 06-11-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Check out the sailing clubs, especially the race nights, and the bulletin boards. Many times boats need crew, or "rail meat" to be crude, for the races, or unpaid crew for moving vessels. You may not get a chance at the wheel but you can get a feel for what's going on.

Consider taking sailing lessons on small boats. They will tell you in an instant that you're doing something wrong. You then get a chance to figure it out before the instructor comes alongside and gives you a couple hints.

Take some USPS courses. Get your advanced piloting or junior navigator certification then start networking. Volunteer to take a boat from port to port, whether short distances or overnight.

Eventually you're going to need to move to bigger boats. Getting ASA certification will open doors for bigger boats, more challenges, and more experience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2010

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Another thing that you might look into is Miami-Dade College. Miami Dade used to offer really cheap sailing classes that were suprisingly good.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-17-2010

PPPPPP42 is on a distinguished road
I found this extremely useful for demonstrating the extreme basics needed to make a sailboat go without putting you to sleep with non essentials
Amazon.com: Learn How To Sail - with Penny Whiting: Movies & TV
though i didnt actually buy it myself. Other videos cover other subjects equally well. Alot easier to see it in a repeatable format than to read it or run though it just a few times for real at usually ridiculous cost in a class.

There's alot that can be learned from a book once you know the basics since for many things you need the long winded theory and explaination of why something is done and not just how.

Sailnet is perfect for asking specific questions and getting advice, not really for broad learning.

Personally i think learning the basics in a competetive racing environment would be needlessly nerve wracking and rushed.

Best learning boat I ever saw was a swing keel 17 foot sloop someone had installed oar locks on with collapsible oars that fit in the bow. Take it out solo and play with no stress or embarassment.
Old 06-18-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Read a couple of books. Go rent a little daysailer or other small boat. Have fun. plan on getting wet. wear a pfd. stay in shallow water so you don't drown. Sails work the same big or small. Yes it gets complicated on larger boats but the principal is always the same. Offer to be "crew" for people that have larger boats. Learn to hang out where those kind of boats can be found. Make friends!

My boat is for sale.