Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010

abrummett is on a distinguished road
Is relaxing a possibility?? :)

I have an offer in on a Hobie Cat 16. I have always wanted to learn how to sail and have some wonderful places to put in locally. My question is, can you take a Hobie Cat 16 out and both sail and decide to stop and relax? I'm sure for all you veterans, this is a really naive question! Just wondering if we took a cooler and a picnic out, can we stop and just be still for an hour or two and relax and enjoy the sun and surroundings OR do we need to stay on the move the whole time?

- Lots to learn and excited to do so! Thanks for any help!

Andrea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
It really kind of depends on where you are sailing, but in general, there is no reason you can't drop a hook or simply drift in certain areas when you want to relax. If you are in a busy area, you will need to keep a good watch, but if you aren't in a channel you can certainly drop your sails or heave to and have lunch if you want to.
Old 06-14-2010

abrummett is on a distinguished road
Perfect! Thanks for te reply - I just wanted to make sure that I could still relax and enjoy the sun and company without absolutely having to be on the move!
Old 06-14-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrummett View Post
Perfect! Thanks for te reply - I just wanted to make sure that I could still relax and enjoy the sun and company without absolutely having to be on the move!
To some it's all about getting someplace. To others it's about going someplace. Either way, you gotta find a way to relax and enjoy it.
Old 06-15-2010

anthonyinnes is on a distinguished road
I have a 16 hobie (last 20 years) that i use on the reef and up a river in australia.we have big tides,currents and winds.get yourself a small outboard.The hobie does not go to windward that easily (at all with contrary tides/current).I use a reduced main (fully battened )and can answer most anything about the beast.You can sail without peril in manic winds with just the jib (on any reach and downwind).I got rid of fibreglass rudders and just have pine boards that last maybe 5 years and fit in original rudder fittings.For gunkholing and getting out there hard to beat.Practice righting it in shallow water you can stand in, they flip easily.On the mast they have a clip near the top that is designed to hold the main halyard.This can mean you have to swim out to the end of the mast to free it up when capsized which in big weather can be dangerous as you cannot lower the main.Hobies parts are expensive and plenty of alternatives exist if you are just into cruising against racing and the hulls and mast etc are great.If you get stuck on something email.
antin04@hotmail.com
Old 06-15-2010

bshipp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
To some it's all about getting someplace. To others it's about going someplace. Either way, you gotta find a way to relax and enjoy it.
I always say "It's about the journey, not the destination. If you're worried about getting there, perhaps you should try something that starts with a key."
Old 06-19-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
I have a Hobie 14 and I would say no. The difference between a Cat and a mono hull is like the difference between a power boat and a Jet Ski. The cat is a very active boat and not built for a relaxing sail. It is very rare to have a relaxing time sailing the cat. In very light winds, maybe, but it seems anytime I was out on it, I had to be very actively involved in sailing it. Its not like you have a back rest you can lean up against.

That's not to say the Hobie is not fun, it every bit fun - its all fun, getting wet and going fast. One of my favorite thing to do in moderate winds is to have someone else sail the boat and lay on my stomach on the leeward pontoon. Watching the water coming at you with your nose 2 inches off the water is a very different perspective, as long as the skipper doesn't bury the pontoon and you get a face full of water.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.

Last edited by Daveinet; 06-19-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2010

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
You can absolutely stop to relax.... just sail your Hobie up onto the beach.
Old 06-26-2010

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrummett View Post
I have an offer in on a Hobie Cat 16. I have always wanted to learn how to sail and have some wonderful places to put in locally. My question is, can you take a Hobie Cat 16 out and both sail and decide to stop and relax? I'm sure for all you veterans, this is a really naive question! Just wondering if we took a cooler and a picnic out, can we stop and just be still for an hour or two and relax and enjoy the sun and surroundings OR do we need to stay on the move the whole time?

- Lots to learn and excited to do so! Thanks for any help!

Andrea
I don't see why you could not just sail into a calm cove and drop your sails and an anchor. Even if you are out, if the waves are not so bad I would think you can do that. I do it all the time with my kayak and in big open water, so if I can do it with a kayak I am sure your Hobie could. If for some reason you can't do it, maybe you should look into getting a small cruiser because it will be a more relaxing boat.

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 06-26-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Sure see.

From ELEPHANTS CHILD

These guys sailed over stayed the night in the tent then were off after breakfast.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.