Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would point out that I generally recommend that spouses take their courses SEPARATELY. Often, when a couple takes the course together, the dominant partner overshadows the other, and the other doesn't get as much learning or experience out of the course as a result. Also, men and women tend to learn very differently.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
they have lots of these programs all over.... maybe make it into a long weekend vacation and go down to the keys....

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-29-2010

ericread is on a distinguished road
Look for community college or Jr. college classes. I took a couple of years lessons on dingys and 30 foot full keel racing boats and I think I paid about $100 for each five week session (certified via US Sailing). This included about one hour of classroom training per week and four hours out on the water each Saturday (or Sunday, at my choice) for the five week course length. Two or three to a boat, and spouses were sent to different boats. At any rate I got over 120 hours of sailing time in the past couple of years and a lot of classroom sailing theory. I probably took more classes than necessary, but 20 hours of sailing for $100 bucks is hard to beat.

Eric Read
Old 06-29-2010

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Truer words have never been spoken.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I would point out that I generally recommend that spouses take their courses SEPARATELY. Often, when a couple takes the course together, the dominant partner overshadows the other, and the other doesn't get as much learning or experience out of the course as a result. Also, men and women tend to learn very differently.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
Old 06-29-2010

thisiswater is on a distinguished road
Amy, I'm also in MA and just signed on for private lessons at a local yacht club. I think the price is great (35/hr or 45/hr for two students); dh and I are taking a lesson together on Friday - I'll tell you how it goes!

I agree about the different learning/cognitive styles of men/women. Also dh and I have some "competency" conflicts, however they're in very different spheres.

Poll: how will a male teacher work w/ us as a couple? How about a woman?
Also, for individual lessons, do you guys recommend same gender teachers?

Many thanks!
Old 06-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend same gender teachers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisiswater View Post
Amy, I'm also in MA and just signed on for private lessons at a local yacht club. I think the price is great (35/hr or 45/hr for two students); dh and I are taking a lesson together on Friday - I'll tell you how it goes!

I agree about the different learning/cognitive styles of men/women. Also dh and I have some "competency" conflicts, however they're in very different spheres.

Poll: how will a male teacher work w/ us as a couple? How about a woman?
Also, for individual lessons, do you guys recommend same gender teachers?

Many thanks!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-06-2010

trailblazer1229 is on a distinguished road
I would have to agree with the OP. Sailing is something I really wanted to do. So was scubas diving. The cost was figured into that, but I did take some measures to make sure I got the most bang for my buck. I took ASA 101 and 103 for about 900$ total. Great experience and well worth the money. I did a lot of research to find the best price. Since then I have found a club through a website and I get a lot of time on the water with them. Could have done that for basically free before my classes. Plus, they will give classes super cheap sometimes. A lot of research will pay off. Just keep looking
Old 07-06-2010

Tanley is on a distinguished road
I've taken 3 courses from BSC (from Learn to Sail through Coastal Cruising). It is/was expensive, but they were all well run and extremely informative. Putting cost aside for a moment, another perspective is that if you take a Learn to Sail course, you do get a 35 day membership. During that time, you'll meet others who will undoubtedly end up joining BSC. They will always be looking for crew, every weekday, every weekend.

There's also Black Rock and Boston Harbor.

There are other alternatives too. If you're truly new to sailing, why not start on something smaller than a 27' Soling? Have you looked into the Community Boating Program in Cambridge? For about $250, you'll get on the water for the entire season and get a decent introduction to sailing basics.

Community Boating, Inc - Boston

As mentioned here, a third option is personal instruction. We got lucky and found a great instructor and this was by far the best experience for us. In both content and value.
Old 07-06-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwardboundAmy View Post
In searching for a sailing school and finding Boston Sailing Center to sound ideal, the tuition for 2 adults is about 1600. to *learn to sail!* One well-respected Sailingnet member, Sailingdog, endorses this school and I can see why ... but 800+ per person seems a lot to spend to learn the basics. Am I off base here?
$800 is how much I paid for my Catalina 22 off Craigslist!

I purchased a copy of "The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing" by David Seidman, read it cover to cover many times, and then volunteered to crew on an experienced sailors sailboat a few times. When I finally took my C22 out, I had no problems sailing it.

I say skip the lessons, and just get/read a good book, buy a cheap sailboat, and go sailing!
Old 07-16-2010

sailorthom is on a distinguished road
Get yourself a good little sloop rigged dingy, a basic sailing book, find a quiet cove, go out and bump into the dock a few times make a lot of mistakes and before you know it you will be sailing. That' s how I learned and I was just a stupid 10 year old kid. it's suppose to be fun! Thom

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.