Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010

outwardboundAmy is on a distinguished road
Sailing for All? Really? $$$?

Oh boy. Dh and I recently heard the author of "Saving Sailing" speak and thought he was spot on about values and sailing for everyone.

In searching for a sailing school and finding Boston Sailing Center to sound ideal, the tuition for 2 adults is about 1600. to *learn to sail!* One well-respected Sailingnet member, Sailingdog, endorses this school and I can see why ... but 800+ per person seems a lot to spend to learn the basics. Am I off base here?

Thanks to any and all -- if it's par for the course, we'll learn at that expense, but it just seems a bit high ... Thanks again for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2010

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
I don't know the right price for sailing school. But I taught myself, using a book, a dinghy, and practice. You can too.
Old 06-29-2010

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Try finding a community sailing center. Many large cities have them (Milwaukee, Chicago, etc). Also, there may be local sailing clubs that have subsidized or really discounted adult learn to sail programs. I'm a member of the Gulfstream Sailing Club in Fort Lauderdale and our Adult Learn To Sail is less than $200 for 8 weeks of Saturday instruction. Lastly - check out local community colleges...they too may have non-credit or adult enrichment sailing classes at lower rates. Broward Community College, for example, had an 8 week learn to sail for about $250 a person including books and certification.
Old 06-29-2010

jcalvinmarks is on a distinguished road
I'll go ahead and cast my lot with WanderingStar. If the stricture and discipline of a class will help you, then by all means go that route. And I think the suggestions about looking at community college and at local sailing clubs rather than established sailing schools is a great idea to same some money.

But I bought myself a dinghy without knowing much more than the names of the two sails that came with it (the big sail and the little sail, right?), and I got out on the water. I read everything I could get my hands on about sailing, and it didn't take me very long to figure it all out. I particularly liked The Complete Sailor by David Seidman.

My experience has been that once you understand the conceptual basics of what makes a sailboat move, the rest of it generally comes pretty easily after that. There are some nuances that you may not pick up on, and some things are counter intuitive, but teaching yourself to sail isn't so hard.
Old 06-29-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
I took my ASA 101 Basic Keelboat course at a local sailing school for about $400 last year. That included 16 hours of instruction, the book, the certification exam and my one year membership fee with the ASA. My ASA 105, Coastal Navigation, ran about $200. What is the school you refer to teaching you? As others have said you can find less expesive ways to get the basic skill set.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
How about crewing on a boat? Last time I checked its free? Maybe I little blood and sweat

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-29-2010

outwardboundAmy is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone - I can see all sides of this. Crewing is on the to-do list to be sure, but I'd like to have some real skill to offer instead of feeling like America's guest, you know? Off to explore options. Have to say that while it's expensive, Boston Sailing has a nice fleet of boats and, frankly I'd rather spend my money on experiences that stuff (read: want to buy a boat later, if at all!)
Old 06-29-2010

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Where I teach part-time, it's $75 per student for a 3-hour lesson, with 4 lessons usually putting you in position to take the ASA basic keelboat test (book and test prep cost extra but not that much).

My lessons usually last a little longer than 3 hours if conditions are good and schedule permits, so you're getting a boat and skipper/instructor for a little less than $25 per hour.

It's about the same at the local YC where I occasionally teach in Flying Scots, they run adult-ed sailing classes out of the USSA book to develop sailors and hence graduate you into crew for their members who race (translation: now your "lessons" are free, and they give you beer).

Maybe "up East" it's higher, but around the South this is fairly standard.

So learning can be pretty reasonable cash-wise, if you look around.
Old 06-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that all of the BSC courses come with a short membership, usually a month or so...where you can use the boats at the BSC.

While, you can learn on a dinghy, with a book, a lot of people are just more comfortable learning in a more structured environment. An ASA 101 type course gives you a very solid foundation to start with—in terms of basic sailing knowledge as well as theory, terminology and practice. Learning on a dinghy is great, if you have access to the boats... however, having access to cruising sailboats and sailing on them is a huge advantage if that is your ultimate goal.

As for books to read... if you haven't picked up Dave Seidman's The Complete Sailor, please do so. It is really the best sailing primer I've seen in many years.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-29-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Another Option

Boston Harbor Sailing School

My wife took this course and she thought it was good. I took the course that you are looking at the Boston Sailing Center and thought it was a good course. Losts of hands on sailing.

The other idea is to hire a instructor for you and your wife and go out together. For probably 1/2 the $, you could get the same level of instruction and learn how each operates as a team.

DrB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.