SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   in a storm... good or bad idea to... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/66179-storm-good-bad-idea.html)

jobi 07-04-2010 05:18 PM

in a storm... good or bad idea to...

open my transome?

Tempest 07-04-2010 05:24 PM

Only if you catch a big fish and need to get it aboard!

jobi 07-04-2010 05:38 PM

preferably a mermaid!!:)

so you think the drain holes will do the job?

killarney_sailor 07-04-2010 08:08 PM

A lot of water could go into the cockpit with the transom open. It could drain out quickly too, but would pull the stern down pretty quickly. If you had concerns about getting pooped it would be pretty easy to install large drains through the transom.

Can't see in the photo but how much depth is there between the cockpit sole and the cabin opening? This is a vital concern because it is more important to keep water out of the cabinthan out of the cockpit.

jobi 07-04-2010 08:31 PM

from cockpit floor to bilge bridge 18in an extra 8-9in from bridge to cabin opening, total 26+??

I was goin to inlarge both tramsom holes and add a clapet so water c'ant come inn.
the upper side of cockpit also has holes witch drain outboard, they look prety efective.

davidpm 07-04-2010 09:15 PM

If you let the transom down in a big storm that big door flapping in the wind and waves may just rip off.
If it does rip off, and rips the hinges off the transom, you may be left with a very large hole below the water line.

johnshasteen 07-04-2010 11:07 PM

Keep it closed, you are not likely to get water into the cockpit. We ran before a Force 10 storm in the Gulf for 36 hours in 50-60 knot winds and 28-30 foot seas and got no water into the cockpit.

jobi 07-05-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnshasteen (Post 619524)
Keep it closed, you are not likely to get water into the cockpit. We ran before a Force 10 storm in the Gulf for 36 hours in 50-60 knot winds and 28-30 foot seas and got no water into the cockpit.

wow that is something, I would have guessed alot of water in your cockpit, quit surprised and glad to hear this.

you know a british gentlmen (sailboa engener) convinced me to keep this boat, he explained in terms I did not fully understand all about her desing and why never go by numbers on some fictive calculator. at one point I got convinced she was an unconfortable healer, quite the uposite in reality.

no offence but this man has said that this boat is comparable to an alberg 29 in roughed seas, wich really suprised me.

rgds

jobi 07-05-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidpm (Post 619507)
If you let the transom down in a big storm that big door flapping in the wind and waves may just rip off.
If it does rip off, and rips the hinges off the transom, you may be left with a very large hole below the water line.

this door and transom is very thick plexiglass, its actuly built as a step ladder to get inn the boat when swiming or boarding from a dingy, its prety solid thos it may not look so from photo.
rgds

Tempest 07-05-2010 06:53 AM

It sounds/looks like the drainage is adequate. Clapets might be effective in a following sea, if you can install them so that they will always open freely to drain.

I've gotten water in my cockpit from waves breaking over the bow, my drains don't appear to be any larger than yours and the water drained pretty quickly.

As Killarney points out, you want to keep water out of the cabin. I would want a method of keeping the hatch boards locked in place.