SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Any reviews of Don Guillette's "Sail Trim Chart" or "Sail Trim User's Guide"? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/66234-any-reviews-don-guillettes-sail-trim-chart-sail-trim-users-guide.html)

0verdrive 07-06-2010 02:05 PM

Any reviews of Don Guillette's "Sail Trim Chart" or "Sail Trim User's Guide"?

I'm a beginner sailor, having started lake sailing last summer in the midwest US. Last summer, I read (and have re-read several times) "The Complete Sailor," which was a tremendous help. Now that I'm starting my second summer, I've been looking for more books to continue to improve my sailing skills. I recently came across some posts that pointed to Don Guillette's sail trim chart, and am curious if anyone else has read them. The promo material for the chart claims that the laminated pages are helpful enough that you'll always want them at the helm. And the User's guide apparently has all the same information, but with explanations for each sail trim.

Both tools sound like they could be quite useful, but I can't find online samples of either. I'm not trying to pirate the book or chart, but if I could read a paragraph of the book, or see 1/4 page of the chart, it would help me decide whether these guides are well-suited for someone of my novice status. In the grand scheme of things, $40 for the combined materials isn't going to break the bank. But given the amount I've already put into the boat to ready it for the summer, I'm hesitant to throw it down the drain if for some reason it doesn't apply well to my needs (too advanced, or intended for ocean sailing, vs the lake sailing I do, etc.)

Has anyone here read these? Would you recommend them?

It's also been recommended that instead of this book and chart, I'd be better off making my next book "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship." Thoughts?

Thanks!

sailingdog 07-06-2010 02:27 PM

The two are pretty useful for sailors of all types. Sail trim is what keeps your boat moving...and getting it right is kind of important. IIRC, there are sections for trimming the sails in light air and in heavy air as well as the general trimming theory and instructions.

lydanynom 07-09-2010 04:09 PM

I'm a relative neophyte as well. I have Don's stuff as well as the latest edition of the Annapolis book and my advice would be not to hesitate in getting all of the above.

While you're at it, I have also gotten a lot from "How to Trim Sails" by Peter Schweer, Rousmaniere's video series (netflix has them), "This Old Boat" as well as "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair" by Don Casey and almost everything either Maine Sail or Sailindog have ever posted. Pay special attention to the bits where Maine Sail differs from Casey.

My boat is fractional rig with no traveler, so I still get a little confused sometimes when reading about trimming techniques from whatever source, but otherwise I have learned quite a lot in the last year using these references.

brainiac 07-25-2010 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lydanynom (Post 621080)
While you're at it, I have also gotten a lot from "How to Trim Sails" by Peter Schweer, Rousmaniere's video series (netflix has them), ...

Beginners beware, I searched Netflix and had two matches: "Sail Trimming" and "How to Make Love to a Woman"

:p

lydanynom 07-25-2010 10:16 AM

rofl :)

Search netflix for "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship" and you'll find them, Volumes 1 through 5. A couple are available streaming as well.