Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Chuck Norris doesn't need a sail to sail. He just decides where he wants to go and it comes to him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2011

jetnick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbur10 View Post
One thing about sailing that becomes pretty evident the first time out. "You can't sail directly into the wind". Once you know that everything else seems to fall into place.
Could you slow down Coach? You're going a little too fast....
Old 06-03-2011

glmark is on a distinguished road
Everything I know I learned myself. It's only by providence that I still have life, limbs, and some little sense!
I learned on a 17' Supercat on a small, warm, shallow lake. Now its a 25' keelboat on a bigger warm, shallow, lake.
First read everything recommended and then some. If you have no background on the water, you don't even know the questions to ask yet. I'd try to find some folks who'll take you out and let you crew while you learn the basics.
Despite my self taught history, I am totally convinced that time and money spent on lessons for anything shortens up the learning curve dramatically. Sailing has many suble perils that can be fatal or maiming. Best to be at least aware of some of them.
The rewards of sailing are so transcendant that it makes no sense to me that anyone would waste time learning everything the hard way.
Old 06-07-2011

tkawika is on a distinguished road
The first time was on my uncles Hobie Cat on Hood Canal in Wa. I was 17 and full of adventure. My uncle taught me the basics and then let me go out with one instruction. "Keep both hulls in the water" with him I was on one hull, but it was his rule. So I grabbed my buddy and went out. Winds were blowing around 10-15kts and we were hauling across the canal. We were on our third run across the canal, when I said to myself "What could happen" so I trimmed the sails and was now cruising on one hull, my buddy and I are standing on the hull about 4ft off the water, with no worries in the world and the biggest grin. About halfway across we went from 20kts (the fish was thiiiisss big) haha, to zero. The first thing out of my buddys mouth was "You &%&*^hole, your uncle told you TWO hulls" Needless to say, after gathering our wits, we didn't flip, we just stopped. So we flagged a power boat and he towed us in. About the same time my uncle is driving and he looks out over the canal to look for the sails and nothing... Well the culprit was a broken shackle on the bow stay and so when it broke the mast came down, hence our sudden stop.

Been sailing hobies on and off, more off than on, for the past 20yrs until, this last year when on a whim bought a 35 Coronado MS. Sailed it 3 times, having fun every time. Except when the genoa line smacks me in the face or the engine overheats because you forgot to open the raw water valve, oh the joys of owning a boat. haha
"Negative, I am a meat popsicle." Korben Dallas
Old 06-09-2011

Joshthulin is on a distinguished road
I'm looking for someone in the Corinado Ca. area to give me some lessons later this summer. I sailed as a kid in Long island sound, then moved to Wyoming.
Old 06-09-2011

turbulicity is on a distinguished road
I am now learning on my 50' sailboat. It is my first boat and I had my second time sailing with it. I am eager to get out by myself but I find that getting out of the slip and docking back in our marina takes a few people. Other than that, after 5 times out with someone who knows a little more about sailing, I feel I can handle the boat in most normal situations. I didn't test my hand on a storm yet. One problem is that I live in the SF bay area where you can't just go out with a big boat and mess around much as you can hit shallow waters pretty quickly. I am planning in the near future to arrange a multi-day outing to go out to pacific and do just that.

A smaller boat would have made for much faster learning. I would be able to get out much more frequently and I wouldn't care if I nicked the hull a couple of times when docking. The small boat option wasn't feasible for me as I had to live-aboard to be able to afford a boat.

My formula is a lot of reading and re-reading the same stuff as I get more practice, lurking in sailnet and trying to get people to come out sailing with me often.
Old 06-11-2011

adell50 is on a distinguished road
im in the process of doing it now
Old 02-03-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road
You know, I consider myself a pretty manly man. I don't watch chick flicks, i like football, etc. As someone whose dream of owning his first sailboat is about to come true, and has only "bluffed" my way into a few rentals before, I think I ended up with something in my eye as I read these responses.

I was afraid I was being an idiot just going off of some advice and a pile of books (and hopefully some common sense!).

Reading this thread/topic made my day. Hell it made my month.

Happy sailing and wish me luck! (going to see what might be "the boat" tomorrow)

Nelson
T37Chef likes this.
Old 02-03-2012

jetnick is on a distinguished road
Learning to Sail

It's been awhile since I've posted. I came here first......a total Noob without one iota of sailing experience. I had purchased a boat on craigslist, a 21 foot sloop, for $800. Didn't even think to inspect the sails. Didn't know what a jib was.

I lucked out, and the boat was solid and the sails were in good condition. Members on this forum encouraged me, and taught me some things about the rigging.

I painted it, replaced some rigging......bought some "how to sail" DVD's online, and then set out. I made every mistake you can think of......Forgot to drop the keel, put on the jib upside down, sailed in winds WAY too strong for my experience level, engine quit, several uncommanded Jibes.....

....and I learned from each and every outing. By the end of the summer, we were sailing comfortably from one end of the lake to the other......tunes playing, beers flowing, good vibes.

After a summer of learning the basics, I went to Thailand and took an ASA certified Bareboat Skippers course and got my license. Next goal: sailing the greek islands in May. Can't wait! Not bad for just one year's experience on a 2nd hand "craigslist special" sailboat!

Thank you forum members for your help!

Nick
Old 02-03-2012

captflood is on a distinguished road
GREETINGS EARTHLINGS ; Go out and don't pump into anything, know where you are, stay warm, stay dry and stay well fed, ( the last one may be a bit trying on a long trip). GO SAFE

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.