Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012

Shemlock is on a distinguished road
Last year I bought a 27 ODay 1976 that needed a lot of work,so while I was fixing her up I took 2 USCG schools Sailing Skills and Seamanship and Coastal Navigation. I bought and read and listened to any and all things sailing and seamanship.You tube videos are great.Don Casey is a favorite and continues to be of great help for me and all of the do it yourselfer's. While refitting the boat I became intimate with all of her systems and the beauty of her sheer to the gabboard.Ive learned about safety gear lines knots standing rigging running rigging polyester resin epoxy resin tabbing mechanical and chemical bonds swaged and swageless and it goes on and on and this is before I splashed and the real fun started.Did I mention I have no crew and have never sailed before singlehanded .I don't want to go on for fear of boring you all so I hope this helped.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2012

minnow1193 is on a distinguished road
I will let everyone know the answer to that when i actually get on the water! Have absorbed everything out of two books, got the boat, sit by the bay every sunday morning just chomping at the bit to get out there.......as soon as she is seaworthy, i'm going! Hopefully won't have to post a thread about 'how to get my boat off a sandbar' or 'made it out, now how do i get back?' Lol.....will post the results when i finally get out.....love this forum.
Old 02-10-2012

sterilecuckoo58 is on a distinguished road
There is a lot to be learned in a wet boat

I learned to sail in 1976 in a Tech Dinghy and I now have something a little bigger. Not much bigger, but I can't trailer it real easy. Little boats are great fun to learn the finer aspects of sailing and getting the most out of your sails and hull. It all translates well to the bigger boat. And learning to sail a sloop rig without a tiller is useful.

Newbies: Read the Bonehead Moves forum, front to back, and back to front... apply the OPM principle and learn from Other People's Mistakes. I have some in there too.

Remember: Your anchor is your friend, so have your heavyweight surefire anchor at the ready at all times - when a current is taking you places you don't want to go (like a bridge to low), that anchor might save your mast, your hull, your outboard etc...

Sand bars... if the tide is running out, you're staying a while, if its coming in, set an anchor to pull her towards, and if there is no tide, set an anchor, jettison the crew and maybe you can gain just enough to nudge her back to deeper water.

Spare parts - Carry spare sheets, fittings, blocks, engine parts (especially electrical elements like power pack, ignition coil, sparks) and the tools to change them. Nothing so satisfying after your motor conks out as servicing it on the water and having her start up again.

Have fun