Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I read David Seidman's The Complete Sailor cover to cover half a dozen times, and crewed on a 3 day offshore trip with an experienced sailor/racer. After that, I had no problems sailing my C22.

I still look at the book at least once on every sailing trip to look at a knot, etc- it's an amazingly good book! It's very visual- lot's of really detailed pencil sketches which illustrate points far better than the glossy photos most books use.

Last edited by casioqv; 09-02-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010

sansegot is on a distinguished road
Rent a boat with skipper in Croatia, and go there with your crew, you will learn a lot, and you don't have to pay extra for school.
Old 09-15-2010

DubeJ is on a distinguished road
I tried to teach myself, let's just say that it didn't take me long torealize that I needed lessons.
Old 09-15-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
I read David Seidman's The Complete Sailor cover to cover half a dozen times, and crewed on a 3 day offshore trip with an experienced sailor/racer. After that, I had no problems sailing my C22.

I still look at the book at least once on every sailing trip to look at a knot, etc- it's an amazingly good book! It's very visual- lot's of really detailed pencil sketches which illustrate points far better than the glossy photos most books use.
That's why I recommend this book over every other one out there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-18-2010
S/V TicToc

whiskers is on a distinguished road
My beginning is only slightly different. I sailed and raced radio controlled model sailboats off and on for 30 years before buying a boat. That helped with a little understanding of what was happening and why. Last fall, after much Internet research, including this forum, I bought an O'day 23. I also read a couple of beginners books from US Sailing. I had the good fortune of meeting an experienced sailor on launch day. He was kind enough to help get the boat set up properly and take my son and me out for the first sail. Since then, it has been a trial and error learning experience. Some frightening incidents have occured, but I've learned from those. My wife and I sailed in our first race this summer, and I think that has been one of the better learning experiences. It is QUITE different to try to sail a line, as opposed to just keeping the boat moving. I would recommend racing to any beginner with a little experience. Don't plan on placing very well, but it's a great classroom!
Most of all, pay close attention to wind and water conditions. Don't get in over your head. If you're worried at all, wait for a better day.
Go for it and have fun. As someone else posted, it ain't rocket science.
Mike
Old 09-22-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
The guy who bought my boat this past summer was mostly going to teach himself how to sail... he sank the boat a few weeks ago. Just depends on your attitude toward learning. You have to respect the possible outcomes of not knowing what you are doing.
Old 09-22-2010

FifeRail is on a distinguished road
First time on a sailboat, someone told me to grab a sheet. I thought "What? Nap time already".

I immediately took the CYA Basic Cruising, bought and read everything I could find. I hate being ignorant (insert smart a*s retort here).

Vastly easier to learn if you go sailing with someone [who knows how to sail] first. Then you get infected with love of the three Ss: Sea, Sailing, Spending.
Old 09-22-2010
Sailing Member

ABK is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ABK
As a sportfisherman for over 40 years, I bought a 25 foot sailboat and the book Sailing for Dummies... I took to the water, had a few friends who had just bought a sailboat too and we taught each other... The book was very valuable. Having prior knowledge of rules of safe boating, navigation, etc was a plus... It's 4 years later and I finally did Blue Water Coastal sailing this summer...

It wasn't a no brainer... but when I look at things, I can usually figure them out... as I did with Sailing... It's great fun and I like the sound of no engine on the boat...

By the way, I had sailed once before in 34 years ago on a rented Sunfish... I was doing fine when the craft became sluggish and flipped on its side. As I righted it, I saw a slice in the bottom about 6 inches long with water running out... I righted it but couldn't go anywhere... I was towed back into the dock as I sat in the "bathtub". My rental fee was cheerfully refunded and my experience lasted about 15 minutes...

Every Sail is a learning experience, everytime you set out...

Last edited by ABK; 09-22-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2010

bene40 is on a distinguished road
who taught themselves how to sail

I did/am

Bought the colgate sailing in 3 days book. read some, went to the boat, read some, went to the boat. Continue this process forever and maybe you can put your sails up when people are watching in a month or so.

I go out beyond when people can see me and make a ton of mistakes but most importantly I am having the time of my life.

plenty of offers for lessons etc, I just ask those people if I can come with the occasional list of questions.

Just do it and be extra cautious and you will be fine.
Old 10-12-2010

Dubbinchris is on a distinguished road
I sailed when I was younger in the Boy Scouts, but not very much. About enough to get the merit badge. Just a few months ago, now at the age of 37 I bought a small day sailer a Siren 17 and I've been slowly teaching myself. I read as much as I can including "The Complete Sailor" and I invited a mroe expereince sailor out on my boat with me one day. I'm slowly learning yet trying to be safe all the time. I still have a ton to learn and figured joining this forum couldn't hurt either.

Chris