SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Who taught themselves how to sail? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/67079-who-taught-themselves-how-sail.html)

Death3 08-05-2010 08:43 PM

Who taught themselves how to sail?

Just wondering who taught themselves and how hard is it to sail

Death3 08-05-2010 08:43 PM

I know its a little vague but just asking

GraemeInCanada 08-05-2010 08:50 PM

me me me! With a small amount of advice from a friend of mine who has been sailing for about 30 years, the rest was books and getting out there and just doing it. When you do it, you have questions on why stuff happens (why does my boat round up sometimes) or whatever.

CapTim 08-05-2010 09:33 PM

I'd postulate that most everybody got advice from somebody.. if not, shame on you :D

smackdaddy 08-05-2010 09:43 PM

I was far too busy teaching all the prudy dudes of Sailnet how to sail.

They finally learned...obviously.

Now for some "me time".

SlowButSteady 08-05-2010 10:21 PM

I read a couple of books, bluffed my way onto a rented Sunfish on Pinecrest Lake, and managed not to make too much of a fool out of myself (I think I even might have impressed my then-girlfriend). Later, I took a class in college and learned how to sail FJs and Lasers. But, almost thirty years later, I'm still working on learning how to sail (just ask my slip neighbors).

Stillraining 08-05-2010 10:49 PM

Never steped foot on a blow boat before my girlfriend and I set out for the day...How hard is it?.........we would have docked under sail the first time out had I not miscomunicated my instructins as to when to drop sail.

Go for it!

Even in the winter with risk of death at every turn....( There Bubblehead are you happy?......................inside joke ICYW...:) )

bubb2 08-06-2010 01:57 AM

I taught myself to sail on a small lake in Indiana. I would sail the length of the lake and try to tack the boat. I would dump the boat and when I got it upright I would sail off to the other end of the lake and do it all over again.

JomsViking 08-06-2010 02:59 AM

That is the only way to learn to sail.
But as CapTim said getting (and listening) to advice is also a good idea.

sawingknots 08-06-2010 05:29 AM

in 2004 i single handed my py25 from beaufort s.c. to tenn. appr.2000 miles,i had never previously been on a boat with a rag up,the first couple of days i just played around with the main,trying different points of sail,after i became bored i eventually hoisted the jib,i was in no hurry,eventually i gained confidence and although i still don't consider myself an expert i can get from point a to point b eventually.sailing ain't rocket science one only needs to visualize what the wind will do under different conditions,storms are a bit more challenging but also more fun