Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road
Caribbean Sailing School recommenadations?

We have an opportunity this coming winter to travel somewhere warm and as we would like to get some formal sailing education, beyond the two day introduction to sailing course we took, I am looking for recommendations.

What we want is a one week liveaboard course. In a warm location.

There seems to be quite a few schools and the prices vary alot.....

If you have taken one of these courses please tell me about it. What school? Where? What did you like or not like about it?

What is the difference between ASA and US sailing? Are either of these compatible with CYA or ISPA courses that are offered in Canada? (We live in the PNW) If we want to keep going with the formal training does it all have to come from the same organization?

We have owned a sailboat for the last four years, three years with a Columbia 26 and 1 year with a Southern Cross 31 and hope to take our Southern Cross cruising to Mexico, South Pacific, Caribbean or.....

Still working on the funding part plus getting the experience required....

Thanks,

Tanya
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I took ASA 101 and 103 during an 8 day cruise around the virgin islands with Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanship (mdschool.com). They offer more advanced classes down in the VI as well. It was very informative, I learned a ton, and it was the most fun vacation I've ever been on. We visited at least one, often two, islands per day, in both the US and British Virgin Islands. It was reasonably priced... I think paid $1700 for the trip (not including airfare), which included food on board the boat (but not food and drinks off the boat, which was probably one meal per day). We stayed on the boat every night, so there was no hotel expense. We sailed during the day, swam in the afternoon, and explored the islands at night. I believe I got some kind of discount because I slept on a settee in the salon, and I think you get a similar discount if you have 2 people willing to share a cabin -- the current list price is $2200 for the trip I went on. I am a very satisfied customer and would go back again if I had the money.
Old 08-26-2010

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Sounds just like what we are looking for!

Thank you for your reply

Tanya