Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010

jimmyp is on a distinguished road
Couples wanting to learn to cruise

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before. Another couple and us are wanting to charter a boat and learn cruising in January at the same time in the Caribean. We, the husbands, want to learn and the wives are wanting the sightseeing and atmosphere. We are trying to find a happy medium where the wives have chances to spend some time on shore while we sail or at least being in different ports where they can shop (draining our wallets) and enjoy the different cultural aspects of cruising. I have had limited sailing experience having completed ASA 101 and 103, but do not care if it is U.S. Sailing or ASA accredited. My goal is to learn and let my wife have the vacation of the lifetime. If you could recommend a school I would be greatly appreciative. We all are in the retail sector so it will be a chance for us all to recharge our batteries.

Thanks in advance,
Jpatter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would recommend that you separate the two functions... getting a charter boat and learning to cruise is pretty much a full-time thing unless you have a friend coming along to act as your captain and do the teaching... Most instructors aren't going to want to deal with the need to have the wives, who are not students, aboard the boat, as it will interfere with their instruction.

Unless you and your wives are all interested in learning to sail/cruise, having the wives along is a bad idea. From what you've posted, your wives are not interested in learning to sail or cruise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I have done several courses with couples in which the husbands are learning the ropes and the wives are along for the ride. It really has not presented and problems at the "lower" levels. A Yachtmaster Offshore course may present some problems.

Check with the instructor to see how he feels about the course.

Jack
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, but that isn't what the OP is looking to do. He clearly states that the wives would want to be going ashore and shopping, etc., and most sailing schools/instructors don't want to be bothered with acting as a ferry service for the wives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have done several courses with couples in which the husbands are learning the ropes and the wives are along for the ride. It really has not presented and problems at the "lower" levels. A Yachtmaster Offshore course may present some problems.

Check with the instructor to see how he feels about the course.

Jack

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-26-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Note to self - read post

Duh?

Missed that part.

Actually we could do that in the Gulf Islands - Victoria area: the Ganges market, Buchart Gardens, wine tours, etc..
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-26-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyp View Post
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before. Another couple and us are wanting to charter a boat and learn cruising in January at the same time in the Caribean. We, the husbands, want to learn and the wives are wanting the sightseeing and atmosphere. We are trying to find a happy medium where the wives have chances to spend some time on shore while we sail or at least being in different ports where they can shop (draining our wallets) and enjoy the different cultural aspects of cruising. I have had limited sailing experience having completed ASA 101 and 103, but do not care if it is U.S. Sailing or ASA accredited. My goal is to learn and let my wife have the vacation of the lifetime. If you could recommend a school I would be greatly appreciative. We all are in the retail sector so it will be a chance for us all to recharge our batteries.

Thanks in advance,
Jpatter
I think that sailing is so freaking easy. Really. Don't worry about teh wives, that does nota make them any different than a good percentage of gals (and guys) whose spouse is all over sailing and they are not. My suggestion might be to see if you can get a captain to go with you for the first day or two or three. If not, see if you can crew on a boat beforehand up in your area. Don't kill yourself over the sailing part... just worry about teh motoring part and grabbing a moor!! That is where teh skill comes in!

Don't sweat it. You will have teh adventure of a lifetiume and might find yourself fighting the wives over who gets to steer! Take pics and keep us posted.

See ya,

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-26-2010

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road
This might be what you want

I have been doing some research of a similar type myself recently....

One of the sites I came across has individually owned boats that run charters and also offer ASA certification.

They may be more likely to be able to offer you the flexibility you are looking for.

This link is for one of them but there are certainly more out there

BVI Sailing School - 43' Beneteau - Private learning charter rates

Hope you can work it out and have a great trip.

Regards,

Tanya
Old 08-26-2010

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
Let's see. Two couples, want to charter a boat and have a captain teach some or them for a week. Charter/ASA/US sailing schools are not that busy. They recognize the need, the money, and the customer service aspect of this. Money talks...and if you want to speak they will listen.

Actually, this does not sound like a big deal. Call any of the charter companies that offer instruction and you should find a willing audience.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.