Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Another less stressful way to deal with it is to just see how many certs a given school will let you get in how many days.
I did 101,103 and 104 in 4 or 5 days don't remember which.
Even though I could have challenged them I thought it was worth it and actually learned a few things.
Studying up on the paperwork is a good idea before but just negotiating for the fastest cheapest course might be easier in the long run and more fun and probably not cost much more and have a more sure outcome.

If you challenge it is all about you. You blow a jibe and the instructor can fail you, he has no skin in the game and may want to teach you a lesson.
If you take the course even if it is a short cheap version the instructor in on your side and wants you to pass to show he is a good instructor.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-04-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I too found the ASA nav test more difficult than the GC license test.
There's alot of fill in answers, so no multiple quessing.

If I had to offer one suggestion, it would be to make sure that you read the question correctly and make sure you know what is being asked for.
There's no time limit..so take your time.

After that:

Be very comfortable with Set and Drift problems.......and 60d street...Speed/time/distance.
Know how to convert up and down ...through TVMDC ...remember...that **currents are always expressed in T

Measure twice...bring good nav tools..a proper pencil...# 2 is too fat!!

Know how to convert time from decimals...... 1/10 of an hour is 6 minutes or .1
Sounds easy, I know. Remember to use the latitude scale...not longitude..
Common, mistakes...that I see.

The best book, that I used to prepare for both CG and ASA nav, tests was Mike Pyzels. I believe ASA has started using it again...worth the investment imo.

Good Luck
Old 09-04-2010
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Tempest on the Nav prep, nothing worse than reading a question wrong. I took the test and though I spent a half day before studying, I didn't think it was too bad. Use a nice mechanical pencil, a .7mm worked best for me as it has a stronger "lead" than a .5mm. Also, get a white Hi-Polymer eraser, Pentel makes them, instead of a Pink Pearl as these are a lot easier on paper and not as abrasive as the Pink Pearl. I used to be a draftsman in a previous career before CAD and those are what we used. Mike Pyzel's book is what we used last December and is a great book to learn from. Good luck!

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by cb32863; 09-04-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: speeling erorrs.....
Old 09-04-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Another less stressful way to deal with it is to just see how many certs a given school will let you get in how many days.
That was my original intention. However i need to find a time and a date when one other person was going to be enrolled in the class, which may not happen this year. Also the course was going to cost more than twice as much at least $700 difference than challenging the ratings and that school would not allow me to challenge the higher ratings, like ASA 105.

CB and tempest thanks for the suggestions and advice. I already have a stack of .7 mechanicals my preferred weapon for navigation will look for the other type of eraser. I have looked for the Pyzel book but it is no longer available it seems. I have the Yellow ASA coastal navigation book Chapmans, Annapolis, and Boaters Bowditch, which will have to do. The only chart I have is for the Puget Sound area, but will be taking the test in Oakland. If I remember correctly the charts for the course are from the East Coast? Any ideas where to get some practice questions to sharpen my skills?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2010

Hi Jordan,

The Pyzel book is available on the ASA website ( Books and Charts)

Coastal Navigation & PowerPoint Presentation CD

The Charts we've used are Usually Block Island Sound or Long Island Sound, training charts.
If you buy the Pyzel book/cd you get the training chart...which also has chart #1 on the flip side.

Pyzels book has a ton of practice questions, that's why I like it.
I prefer it to Tom Tursi's book...but, you didn't hear that from me..:-)

Basically the test takes you on a trip around one of the charts and asks you questions along the way... What's the course to steer, how far have you gone in x hours, what is the eta at the destination, what's the depth and the type of bottom at a specific set of coordinates, what's the range, what's the symbol... etc. etc...Also, you will be reading tide and current tables that they provide..... What's the visibility of the light...distance....how far away are you when you 1st see it..if you are x feet off the water...( dipping the light)

If you answer all the questions in the pyzel book, and get comfortable with the problems, you should have no problem with the test....short of giving you the answers..this is the best advice I can give.

Last edited by Tempest; 09-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
That was my original intention. However i need to find a time and a date when one other person was going to be enrolled in the class, which may not happen this year. Also the course was going to cost more than twice as much at least $700 difference than challenging the ratings and that school would not allow me to challenge the higher ratings, like ASA 105.
I'm concerned about the goal. If the goal is to just get a book with some stamps in it and you already know the material my question is why bother?
There are lots of people that have the book and don't know how to sail.

If your goal is to charter a boat it is not necessary as they want to know about your experience and a 4 day course is not really experience is it.

If you goal is learn something and fill in the blanks of self learning with a structured course then you have to take the course.

I can't see any goal that is worth the money to challenge the course. Why bother. I took the first three with my wife because she figured she would rather learn from anyone but me. I had a great time, we had some great stories. I basically kept my mouth shut, did what I was told to do and observed. I learned a lot. If not about sailing at least about teaching.

We are from Connecticut and we went to the Santa Barbara Sailing School.
You can go anywhere for the class that's what planes are for.
The experience is worth something, the paper not so much.

Last edited by davidpm; 09-08-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
I'm concerned about the goal. If the goal is to just get a book with some stamps in it and you already know the material my question is why bother?
Sailing is a lifelong passion for me and a long term goal. Living in Utah it is a lot harder to get onboard a boat than it was living on the coast. I used to be able to sail on lots of different boats for free. I know how to sail a boat, but want to charter a boat. My recent experience does not qualify me to charter a boat, even though I had taken a class in Ventura in the 90s and was chartering 30' boats back then. I am hoping getting my ASA ratings will allow me to at least get my foot in the door with charter companies, so I can prove I can handle a boat.

Another issue is one of limited resources, both time and money. The fact you can afford to learn to sail in SB shows you are in a different tax bracket. I have sailed 100s of days, 8 more days sailing in SB would add little to my experience, but subtract much from my bank account.

I do not intrinsically know all this stuff about sailing, but used to know a lot and am quite able to teach myself, what I have forgotten. Like the expression "nothings more efficient than a scared sailor with a bucket", so goes the expression "Jordan with a final test approaching". I have been studying and know more now about sailing than I have ever. If nothing more I have learned a lot in preparation that I would not have otherwise and get to go sailing for the weekend showing what I know. Hopefully I will be closer to being able to charter when done.

Another question for Tempest.
Are there any radar, sextant or radio nav questions on the ASA 105 test.
Old 09-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I doubt it... radar and celestial navigation are outside the scope of that course AFAIK. What do you mean by Radio Nav questions??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
What do you mean by Radio Nav questions??
I am studying 3 different books for the nav skills, each has a chapter or paragraph on sextant for determining a COP, (circle of position) based on an objects height, not so much for celestial navigation. They also talk about radars in the same way to determine LOPs.

By Radio Nav, I meant electronic navigation, GPS, Loran, RDF?

I have been skipping these chapters as I too am guessing it is out of the scope of the certification. I also don't want to weigh down my head with information I can't use until I have radar, sextant or GPS to use. However, I don't want any surprises on the test.
Old 09-08-2010

Jordan,

No Radar or Celestial navigation questions on 105 both are separate courses and tests. I can't remember any Radio related questions, but if their are they would be related to Maydays or Pan Pans...but I think they are on the coastal cruising exam.
I don't recall any questions regarding radio direction finders...but if their were they would be related to a bearing...as part of a position finding problem.

105 is: plotting, set and drift, chart symbols, depth, and speed time and distance problems, danger bearings etc

Last edited by Tempest; 09-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.