Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that the OP's post seems to be asking about what to do on open water passages, not coastal cruising. There's a big difference between the two, since during a coastal passage, you can generally find an anchorage, marina, or some other haven for the night. On a bluewater passage, sailing through is really your only option—whether you heave-to, set a sea anchor, reef the sails and set the autopilot, or lie ahull. In all of these cases, you are still technically underway, and as such, responsible for avoiding collisions.

One possible solution is to lie ahull or heave-to and run the signals for a VESSEL NOT UNDER COMMAND. I don't know if this is legal, but from what I've read, it may be a possibility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm...might want to brush up on day shapes again. Believe it is an INVERTED CONE that is required when motorsailing, not a DIAMOND. Also, the anchoring dayshape is a BLACK BALL, not a BLACK CIRCLE. A black circle would not be a solid shape, just an outline.

Circle: O
Ball: •

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Oh, and let us not forget, when motorsailing, how many of you display a black diamond? How many of you even know what I am talking about? You just broke the law. And when anchored during teh day, how many Americans (it is more accepted in Europe) display a black circle? Oops. You just broke the law again. And if you did display the black circle when anchored, how many around you would even know what the heck it was for????

Incidentally, the black circle is a rule I tend to agree with and I do display. But I have NEVER, in however many decades of boating, ever seen another boat display one. I am the only one.

Brian

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-17-2010
Seńor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
There are no lights that are specified for a singlehanded sailor getting sleep.
Agreed, but more generally what about 'red over red' - vessel not under command?

Edit - Never mind, you posted while I was reading and posting.

Quote:
One possible solution is to lie ahull or heave-to and run the signals for a VESSEL NOT UNDER COMMAND. I don't know if this is legal, but from what I've read, it may be a possibility.

Last edited by ottos; 09-17-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
The argument that a singlehander is presenting any real danger, given the average speed of most sailboats, the fact that they're far out to sea in mostly unpopulated waters, and usually in relatively small boats is pure idiocy.
Hey, dude, take it up with the COLREGS, not me.

Anyway, you're looking at the potential problem backwards. It's not about a sailboat sinking a tanker. It's about a singlehander creating an unattended hazard for not only other ships, but himself and potentially SAR.

If that tanker runs you down and sinks your boat while you're asleep, then your EPIRB squawks and calls in SAR, you've now greatly increased the costs and potential liabilities across the board...because you were breaking the rule.

Then that leads to the whole discussion of whether singlehanders should carry an EPIRB at all, then the COLREG Elephant starts running around the room and we've got pandemonium.

Rules is rules.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Umm...might want to brush up on day shapes again. Believe it is an INVERTED CONE that is required when motorsailing, not a DIAMOND. Also, the anchoring dayshape is a BLACK BALL, not a BLACK CIRCLE. A black circle would not be a solid shape, just an outline.

Circle: O
Ball: •
Picky picky picky!!!!

It would be itneresting to run a poll on who actuallyo uses these or even knows what tehy are for!!! I may have to do that.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-17-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Additionally, how many hang a radar reflector? It's great to HAVE radar to see other vessels, but it doesn't hurt to make your own signature easier for them to see.
Old 09-17-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Picky picky picky!!!!

It would be itneresting to run a poll on who actuallyo uses these or even knows what tehy are for!!! I may have to do that.
Ooooohhhhh - busted! Don't you hate that! Right in the middle of your smarmy, and aide leans in and whispers in your ear. Heh-heh.

This is what I fly when motorsailing...
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping at sea-conehead.jpg  

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-17-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
The inverted cone for Sailboats are not required for vessels under 12 meters.
However I carry one on my 34' vessel and use it if Motor Sailing. Whether or not anyone knows what it means is another issue.

@ SD, the Op's original question appeared to be a Blue water question but then he amended to say a inside a mile of commercial traffic lanes, which implies that he's coastal cruising around NJ, NY, DE.

I agree that while it's a violation of the Rules to sleep at sea ( blue water) we all know that it happens. How to minimize the risk of collision with another vessel could be accomplished in a number of ways. Showing lights or shapes for a NUC would make sense in addition to any alarms you could set.
Of course, collisions with other ships aren't the only dangers out there.
Old 09-17-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
Ooh, i didn't mean anchor in the shipping lane, but a mile away from the shipping lane in the direction of shore. Sorry, i didn't mean to confuse.
Old 09-17-2010
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road
This discussion brings an interesting question. If we're going to follow the "rules" shouldn't we follow all of them?
If would be very convenient if we could pick and choose the rules we want to follow not to mention how entertaining it could be.
"Uh dude.... we're not following the no pot rule on our boat"
"That's OK man, I just woke up from 12 hours of being racked while under autopilot.... uh, where we at dude?"
"Not sure exactly but my guess is we're right in front of an oil tanker and he's headed straight for us. Based on the size of his bow wake I'ld say we got about 2 minutes."
"Far out man, wonder which rules he decided to follow?"
"I've been watching him for about 12 minutes now and I think they threw out the one about boating under the influence. Not to mention that it looks like a huge barrel of rum on his decks. Hey, are those naked women dancing on top of the barrel?"
"Wow man..... I dunno....Hey dude, ya think he's seen us yet?"
"Quick, throw out an anchor and turn on the anchor light. That way if he hits us he can be a fault."
"Ya think he's following that rule?"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.