Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010

TheWhiteRabbit is on a distinguished road
older copy of th Chapman Book of Piloting and Seamanship

The other day, I was perusing the “nautical” section at the local used book seller, and saw an older copy of Chapman Book of Piloting and Seamanship. I was a really cheap price, and the book looked like it had never even been cracked. So my questions to you are:

1.Is the Chapman Book of Piloting and Seamanship a useful resource for a beginner?

2.And Is there all that much difference between editions? I want to say the used book I saw was the 60th or 62nd addition, and apparently the current addition is 66th. I’ve noticed that a lot of (collage or scholastic) textbooks really do not have much of a difference from addition to addition, is this the case with the Chapman book?

Thanks All!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I have the 59th edition and still find it useful. It is a good reference for any sailor. Some things have changed over time, e.g., WIGs added to ColRegs in 2003 and emergency wreck buoys added to to nav aids, but navigation is still navigation.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-19-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How old a copy are you talking about? There have been some advances in recent editions, like covering GPS, DSC, etc., that are well worth having. Considering that they're up to the 66th edition or so, you'd probably be okay with any edition that is above the mid 50s, but YMMV.

Another really good book on Navigation specifically is Hubbard's Boater's Bowditch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-19-2010

peikenberry is on a distinguished road
Chapmans is the Bible of boating. Even the US Coast Guard uses it as a text. Actually there is not much difference between the 60th edition and the latest 66th edition. See Chapman Piloting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a 54th edition I still use. It's the Bicentenial Edition. Came in a nice red leather binding and has one of those cases it slides into. The basics are still the basics. Any way there have not been many changes in the last four or five years, so go for it.

My Boating Safety Blog

Dont Tell Me that I can't. Tell me how I can!

Last edited by peikenberry; 09-19-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-20-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peikenberry View Post
I have a 54th edition I still use.
I have the 48th edition. It is very entertaining. There are chapters on "Flag Etiquette", and "Clothing and Uniform" Even the vocab words in the back are a lot of fun, a large percentage not even used nowadays.

I also have the 59th (representing when I learned to sail) and the 66th. As long as they are not too old they have some useful info but the newer the more relevant info and the better it is presented. This is easily noted from looking at my copies spanning 40 years.

It is worthwhile having Chapmans as a resource but the best resource IMO is Annapolis book of seamanship. It is very much like Chapmans but is sailing specific. I have whole library of subjects related to sailing but I find with few exceptions that the Annapolis book covers most subjects in great detail that is easy to understand.
Old 09-21-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
I bought the 66th Edition and it's current with 2009 technology/information.

I read Chapmans most every day.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.