SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Choosing a sailing school in Houston (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/68504-choosing-sailing-school-houston.html)

zcasper 09-23-2010 06:29 AM

Choosing a sailing school in Houston

I'm thinking of taking the ASA 101 course. I've been sailing a few times (especially when I was a kid) but would like to formalize it up.

I live in Houston and am looking at the following schools.

Windward Seaventure - I haven't seen too many comments on Windward. They seem to have really nice boats.

Bay Area Sailing School - Lots of positive comments both online and offline. Their boats don't seem as nice as Winward but they are cheaper.

I guess I'm looking for a school where I can later charter their boats. Winward seems to have nicer but more expensive boats. Bay Area seems to be the most recommended.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Zach

jephotog 09-23-2010 10:23 AM

If price is an object and the cheaper school is well rated, it seems like the better way to go. What good is a nicer boat if you can't afford to sail as much? Whatever class you take is only going to cover the basics. If you can afford to sail once a week or more afterwards you will reinforce what you learn in class and become a better sailor quickly. Any impediment to getting sailing will limit your growth be it price, distance to the marina or availability of boats. Factor those in and figure out which school will let you sail most and get on the water as much as possible.

zcasper 09-23-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jephotog (Post 647208)
If price is an object and the cheaper school is well rated, it seems like the better way to go. What good is a nicer boat if you can't afford to sail as much? Whatever class you take is only going to cover the basics. If you can afford to sail once a week or more afterwards you will reinforce what you learn in class and become a better sailor quickly. Any impediment to getting sailing will limit your growth be it price, distance to the marina or availability of boats. Factor those in and figure out which school will let you sail most and get on the water as much as possible.

Those are actually helpful thoughts. Thanks.

zcasper 09-25-2010 10:46 AM

Anyone have experience with Windward? I can't find anything on these guys.

RTB 09-25-2010 04:31 PM

I don't know about Windward, but I am on the dock next to the Bay Area Sailing School. They seem to have plenty of business, and their Catalina 22's seem to be in good shape. There are also quite a few boats available for charter on that dock. You might stop by and have a look when you can. Good Luck!

Ralph

jackdale 09-25-2010 06:05 PM

The instructor is a big factor in the quality of the sailing lessons. Some folks are great sailors but they cannot reflect on their own practice well enough to be able to translate their experience into a meaningful experience for the neophyte.

As an instructor-evaluator I have seen a few great sailors for whom it is so natural they cannot teach.

Jack

RTB 09-25-2010 07:01 PM

True, but how do you know the instructor's ability to teach without sailing with them? Hopefully, having a good rep means having good instructors.

jackdale 09-25-2010 07:09 PM

You might check with some folks who have taken lessons with specific instructors. Yes, good schools do attract good instructors.