Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
The sharp end of a rope.

I want to thank all the people here who helped this dream come true. I cant tell all of you how many people tried to talk me out of buying building my boat. " Your an idiot, your just going to die out there". I heard that lots..
And the ever popular " you don't have a clue!" i heard that lots too.
But here i found lots of people who gave me good advice and even made a few friends along the way. " one, i hang out with damn near every weekend".
Thank you all.....

Here is the story.

I am one of those people who bought a boat " 1970 Cal 29" last October and spent the last year rebuilding it. I DID NOT HAVE A CLUE how to sail a boat much less this monster. Just that i want to learn and this boat needed a home and love. I just took her out for the first time this weekend and other than a few knots not tied right things went well. And when my fuel filter clogged on the way back to the dock " being a Diesel mech i anticipated this" was going to happen and installed a second fuel filter " housing filter and all" . So two turns on two valves and i was under power again. Just like the big boats.

Now, i have sailed with a buddy that i met on here and i was a sponge in a bucket of water but i have to say... The sheer terror and responsibility of taking my boat out on my own Saturday kept up up all Friday night and i was a train wreck all day Saturday. This was not helped by my buddy refusing to go out sailing with me because he was to hung over....
I felt like i had not learned a thing in the last year.. When i took her out Sunday i was much more relaxed and actually enjoyed my self.

No matter how many times you sail on someone Else's boat boat. its not the same. I can only compare it to rock climbing.. You may follow for a life time but when you lead the climb you are out on the sharp end of the rope the world is a totally different place smell's are stronger, sounds are louder, you see everything, every little bump is felt as though you just hit a moose in a smart car..... Its a different world...

Some of you were blessed living close to the water and learning on small boats and graduating up until you hit the big boys..
Some of us just dive on in to the fryer.

I grew up land locked and the largest boat i ever piloted was a 16' ski boat on a lake 12 years ago. I bought lots of books at half price books read lots and tried to learn every system on my boat so i would know what to do when or if ........... A sailboat is a very complicated piece of machinery and art all in one. There are still things on my boat i have no clue that they do or when to use them.. Part of the problem is my boat was a race/ cruiser and i think the previous owner raced the boat because every one that walks by asked why a 29' sloop needs 7 winches? lol
And i think he did it solo....

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks.
And to all and for those thinking,hoping, or wishing for a boat.... Go for it, it feels good to flip them off at the dock as you sail away in that boat.

And by the way... my docking is perfect no bumps and no crashes even though i had terrible condition's at the dock when i came in, lots of wind and the first night on a moonless night with piss poor light.
I even learned to use the prop rotation to slide the rear to the right.
I learned how here!!!!

Last edited by dieselboy; 10-04-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Great stuff diesel.
Keep us posted on how things go.

PS I still get stressed docking, and I've done it a few times more than you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2010

garyguss is on a distinguished road
Good job, enjoy your boat and feel proud.
Old 10-04-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I really like the fuel filter redundancy. Very clever.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 10-04-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Good on you DieselBoy and as StAnna says, for many of us docking never loses its fair share of terror.

You know it really is marvelous to hear a story of someone taking a fixer upper and making a go of it. It shows it can be done when the fixer upper has the right stuff.

Now...how about some pics of your handiwork ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-04-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up

Good work... pics definitely in order.... Maybe you can show Tommays how it's done!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-04-2010

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Diesel,
Congrats! Soloing is always a rush, esp. the first time. FWIW, every time is a little different. You learn something new every time. Enjoy it.
BP
Old 10-04-2010

RoelofStorm is on a distinguished road
Nice story Diesel, thnX for sharing this. Enjoy your 'new' boat and the good weather with it.
Old 10-04-2010
clueless

dieselboy is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone. I really wanted to post this because i see people asking " is this boat to big to learn on?" Well in a nut shell.... Maybe..lol How much damage can it sustain and can you afford?

I was asked for pics.. so here is the link to all of them .

New Member...
Old 10-04-2010

irwin325cc is on a distinguished road
I'm prowd of you for getting out there nervous as hell Sat. and getting it done. One knot is all that did'nt work, it is a hell of an acomplishment. I still do things all kinda wrong, never can remeber those damn fenders.
Good job bro.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.