Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010

Smaxey is on a distinguished road
what makes a good sailbag?

Not quite the bag itself, but what kinds of things do you include before you go out and sail? motion sickness drugs/remedies? food? beer? gloves? foul weather gear? any thing at all? do you even have a bag?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
A good sailbag is labeled. Like what sail it has in it. Light main, #1, 140%, blade, etc.

A good gear bag will include heavy construction, some type of water resistance if not water proof, outside pockets, inside pockets, shoulder strap, and an easily recognizable shape or color.

What's in it? Sea sickness drugs, gloves, glasses, PFD, teather, knife-multitool, sunscreen, a SNACK, foulies, boat shoes, spare socks, climbing harness, etc. All of it must fit in one bag. Owners don't like it when you show up to crew for the day, and it looks like you're staying for a week.
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd leave the beer out of the bag... especially if you're doing any night sailing, since alcohol interferes with night vision, balance, judgement, etc.

Are you talking about what people carry in their crew kits? It really depends on when/where you're sailing. It also depends on what kind of sailing we're talking about—what you might want for a daysail around the harbor is going to be a bit different than what you'd want on an evening race or a short delivery.

In New England, it might have a watch cap, 3/4 season gloves, polar fleece pullover, anti-nausea meds, hand-bearing compass, handheld GPS, digital camera, iPod or music player, some snacks—I prefer Snickers bars, something to drink—I usually pack Gatorade, and possibly a change of clothes. Often, I'll bring my own Type V PFD, harness, tether, and foul weather gear. A rigging knife, pocket tool, sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, all might be good additions, depending on the season and such.

The bag I use is a backpack, and a lot of the things are stowed inside a small drybag inside the backpack. This helps keep the stuff organized, and also protects it from spray, rain, etc. I've found that the terrestrial idea of what is waterproof, and the mariner's version of what is waterproof are significantly different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2010

Smaxey is on a distinguished road
Oh. thanks !! i dont know if i can get ahold of all of that on the budget i have before this week, but i'll do my best. any recommended PFD?manufacturer or anything else?

anything special about snickers or just preference? any issue with a sub from subway?
whats a watch cap? and finger-tipless gloves(3/4?)
Old 10-26-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
I am often gone for two weeks at time. Sometimes I get to unpack my bag, on some trips everything stays in my bag.

I keep my clothes organized with these:

They are lingerie laundry bags: one for underwear, one for socks, one for t-shirts, one for windshirts, etc.. They are all white. My pants (hiking pants) and fleece are loose, but I roll, rather than fold, them.I have big grey mesh bag for the dirty stuff. My clothes, shaving kit with meds, and sleeping bag go into one canvas bag, my safety gear (inflatable pfd/harness, 4 tethers, extra strobe lights, extra harnesses, jacklines - if needed, foulies, boots and shoes, and a PLB) go in another. I also have a nav bag with plotters, a couple of hand bearing compasses, pencils, erasers, dividers, TSD calculator, Weather Cycler, portable GPS. I carry the extra safety because many of my students do not have it, yet. I also have a headlamp with a red lens, sailing gloves, ball caps with tethers, watch cap, rubber work gloves for cold wet conditions.

The provisions are normally supplied by the school, I ask for a couple special items. I also carry Gatorade; I need the electrolytes as I am susceptible to reflex fainting. I get the powered stuff and mix it in my own water bottle.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 10-26-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If I'm expecting to be piloting I'll bring my own binocs, there are never enough on a boat and everyone is happier when "their" own good ones aren't being passed around.

But even when I'm traveling light, I'll carry my own handheld VHF. I know it *works* and after a boat is locked up and someone says "Didn't YOU call the launch?" it is always easy to pull it out and make the call.

In early/late season, I use a "jeep hat" instead of a watch cap. Five years ago you couldn't find 'em at all, now they're available all over. Like a watch cap with a short bill on it, the kind worn by Radar on MASH. Very handy to keep a low sun out of your eyes when you're trying to look aloft at the sails, and much warmer than a baseball cap.
Old 10-26-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How tall are you... the inflatable PFDs that have integrated harnesses are often designed only for people a certain height and taller... The brand I like, which doesn't have this issue, are the Spinlock DeckVest PFDs. These have an integrated harness, spray hood, strobe, and whistle. However, they are not USCG approved IIRC.

I like snickers bars because they have a lot of energy in a compact form and keep better than a sub would. Less messy to eat except in hot weather too.

A watch cap:

3/4 gloves are 3/4 season gloves, which are far warmer and heavier than typical sailing gloves. The ones I usually wear are Jetpilot brand PWC gloves.

In warmer weather or more southern climes, I'll wear gloves that leave the finger tips exposed.

One of the better remedies for motion sickness is ginger candy. MotionEase also works fairly well.

I also carry a small LED flash light. I particularly like the Gerber FireCrackers, since they're pretty tough and run on a single AA battery for quite a while. The beam is bright enough to pick out buoys at 150' or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaxey View Post
Oh. thanks !! i dont know if i can get ahold of all of that on the budget i have before this week, but i'll do my best. any recommended PFD?manufacturer or anything else?

anything special about snickers or just preference? any issue with a sub from subway?
whats a watch cap? and finger-tipless gloves(3/4?)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 10-26-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2010
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I've found that the terrestrial idea of what is waterproof, and the mariner's version of what is waterproof are significantly different.
Ain't that the truth!!!
Old 11-08-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
My bag is a cool duffel made out of some high tech sail cloth. I keep it packed and ready to go. Being a backpack junkie I have one for each occasion anyways. In it I carry:

Layers head to toe (long underwear, no cotton)
Fleece top
Foul Weather Gear (head to toe)
Hat wool or fleece
Gloves (Sailing)
Flashligh
t(s) one small one to hang around my neck and headlamp
Handheld GPS
Rigging knife
PFD/Harness (Inflatable) all in one

Items in blue I would consider mandatory to show up and be a good crew.

The boat will have PDFs on board and possibly extra harnesses, check with the Captain if not sure, they aren't cheap. Often the Captain will provide food and drinks or it will rotate among the crew. You probably won't be expected to feed everyone on the first sail. Ask the Captain if you should bring something. He'll give you an idea if food is provided.

I will also show up dressed for the prevailing weather with sailing shoes or at least boat friendly shoes. If the weather may be snotty I will add more layers and some sea boots.

You could spend over a $1000 on what I have in my bag. You could also put together a sailing kit for $100 at a army surplus store. The items won't be sailing specific but will get you started.

Let us know how it goes or went.
Old 11-08-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i have one of these and like it a lot...holds a lotta gear, but there are no internal pockets so i end up with a lot of 'bags inside a bag'

Watershed Westwater Backpack Yellow

i like these a lot too:
GILL Full-Finger Pro Racer Gloves at West Marine

i keep the vion mini compass, handheld gps, snacks (nuts/fruit), small first aid kit, leatherman, knife,xtra clothing depending on the weather, sport towel (the mini super absorbent kind),hat,handheld vhf,sunblock...

when you are buying this stuff, you might want to consider how often you are going to use it. ie, on my boat ive got extra gloves for guests. if you are going out for a visit, a backpack you already have would work, some clothes, a bit of food and a good attitude would probably suffice.

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture