Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010

TejasSailer is on a distinguished road
We were pleased with the Bay Area Sailing School in Houston.

Sailing Classes - Charter Courses - BayAreaSailing.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2010

davesailski is on a distinguished road
While it was many years ago, I took a bareboating course with the Annapolis School of sailing, who at the time had a base in St Croix (in addition to others). We had a fantastic time, you can learn as much as you want, and enjoy a fabulous time in the islands. I would highly recommend it.
Old 11-20-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Figuring there are a lot of good ASA schools out there. I would look at warm locations where you would like to spend spring break, check out the schools there.

I had a great time in San Diego last month. They also have a great maritime museum. They have a replica of the original Americas cup boat that does whale watching trips. I plan on visiting there just to take a whale sightseeing tour on this boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2010

doogymon is on a distinguished road
Sailing School in March: Where?

Offshore Sailing School looks OK!

Old 11-28-2010

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
Sailing School in March

J World - San Diego

Excellent School, close to airport, range of accommodations nearby, could easily be done w/o a rental car.

Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37 Hull 207
Old 12-01-2010

sparrowe is on a distinguished road
I spent eight days in early October at the Santa Barbara Sailing Center, and was able to complete the Basic Keelboat (ASA 101), Basic Coastal Cruising (ASA 103) and Bareboat Charter (ASA 104) in that time. Spencer, Rob, and Ken were all terrific instructors. I did 101 in a J-24, and 103 and 104 in a Catalina 42. There were two students per class, and because my co-student in 103 dropped out I enjoyed a day of private instruction.

Especially helpful was the "live-aboard" option included in the tuition - I slept in the Catalina 42 every night, saving an immense amount of money (Santa Barbara hotels are relatively pricey). Good food and drink were within easy walking distance - a car was completely unnecessary.

The cost (high season) was $2080 plus incidentals (textbooks) plus food and airfare. There is a six-day ASA 101 and 103 live-aboard option for less ($1420), but I found the 104 course to be especially valuable in terms of learning boat systems (electrical, plumbing, mechanical) as well as giving me much more practice in crew overboard and docking drills. Plus, we sailed over to the Channel Islands, practicing navigation and anchoring in a small cove for the night. Overall - and in every detail - it was a great experience.

I imagine that other Sailing Schools have their own advantages - given the nature of the sailing community and the fine people that are part of it, I can't imagine how you could make a bad choice. Best wishes in your search for a school!

Ray

(no material connection to the Santa Barbara Sailing Center - just a satisfied graduate)
Old 12-01-2010

rk6johnson is on a distinguished road
We sail out of Charlotte Harbor near Fort Myers, FL. Usually warm, sunny, and good breeze (10-15) at that time. I started sailing larger boats by taking a 5 day course-ASA series. Both southwest Florida Yachts and Yachting Vacations have Charters with Sailing Schools. It's best if you can get a friend or 2 to go with you. You stay on the boat at Burnt Store Marina so no extra costs for lodging. Charlotte Harbor is relatively calm-no swells so if you want bigger water, try the east coast. Offshore Sailing school previously mentioned is also very good.
Old 12-01-2010

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
San Francisco Bay is demanding and this is a good school: Modern Sailing School & Club - San Francisco Bay Sailing Lessons, Charters and Rentals, Adventure Sailing