SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

outboard reverse

10K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  dtfm 
#1 ·
I just purchased a 26'' laguna with a early 90''s model 9 hp evinrude outboard. The problem I am having is getting out of my slip in reverse. Does anyone have any pointers on steering a sailboat in reverse with the rudder. The boat just wants to go where the motor pulls it. You can crank and crank on the till to try and turn it but it stills goes one direction (straight back) anyone have any advice

#2 ·
Your problem is not unique. The secret is establishing enough hull speed to get steerage from the keel and rudder. It sounds like the location of your outboard creates enough turbulence to destroy flow over the rudder.

A couple of things to try:
1) Establish a movement astern with the OB, shift into neutral. Helm should return to rudder control. Alternate between OB and rudder as needed. Two people may be required.

2) Unlock the pivot on the OB and rotated it to steer the boat. Coordinate the rudder with this action.

I don''t know the configuration of your rudder, but another option may be rotating the rudder 180 degrees to reduce the caster action when going astern. This gets me steerage at lower speeds.

Now, add a little wind to this equation and the comfort zone disappears again!!

Hope this helps,

#4 ·
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! When backing, lock the tiller in the center position and steer with the motor. Don''t be afraid to use forward thrust to pivot the boat into a position. Once you get the hang of this, you''ll be the envy of the marina, being able to out maneuver all of the inboard boats!

#7 ·
Oday 25
I have no problem manuvering into my slip by turning the tiller and the outboard in unisen. You must stay mindful of the fact that without hull speed, you have no steering capability. It can be turned on a dime using this method, even when wind is a factor.

#8 ·
KenD and GWP,
Do you have any idea where to get the info on the gear to tie the boat''s tiller and the tiller on the motor together? I''ve been looking for something like that, but have not been able to find it. Also, will this work for a motor that sits in a well?
Thanks,
Peter K.

#9 ·
Cedarpines,

If you look at the thread on singlehanded docking, you''ll see that I had the same problem. I thank everyone for their great advice, and I have to say that one of the guys moored in my new marina is a mechanic and it took him all of 4 seconds to locate the retention bolt on my Johnson 9.9.

I had asked several experienced cruisers about pivoting the outboard, but they were all blue water sailors and just said they didn''t think outboards were mounted to turn. So, for years I struggled with bad performance in reverse. Now I can spin my boat on its swing keel like a top, making maneuvering and docking incredibly easy.

My advice is to go to a store that sells power boats and ask the mechanic where the retention bolt is on your engine.

Best to you,
Chas

#10 ·
Hi Waltzingmatilda!

I have an EZSteer device that does attach to the rudder stem and the motor so they do turn in unisen.....never used.
Don''t know about the fact that your motor sits in a well. May not work. Check at a marine store for info. Then, get back to me.
Luck!
Boatinbabe (9-17-03)

#11 ·
We call it the "wheelbarrow" method.

I sail a lot on a Cal 22 that likes to back up straight as an arrow, even with the tiller cranked all the way over. By grabbing the tiller in one hand and the outboard in the other, and cranking them both in the same direction, the boat turns easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.