SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Where can I sail in Naples, FL? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/71098-where-can-i-sail-naples-fl.html)

jaadoogar 01-05-2011 03:10 PM

Where can I sail in Naples, FL?

I'm going to be in Naples, Florida for work later this month. I want to rent a boat for a few hours per day to become more proficient and practice what I've learned so far about sailing.

I just learned how to sail last summer on the Charles River in Boston. I'm comfortable in a small centerboard Cape Cod Mercury (15' sloop). I also have sailed a 13' Hobie Wave catamaran.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

avenger79 01-05-2011 03:39 PM

if you want to stay with the Hobie they rent those on the beach anywhere from Marcos Island up to Fort Myers. Bonita Springs Beach is usually not crowded as far as getting a boat. Parking on the other hand well get there early.

Astazou 01-05-2011 04:34 PM

Sailboats Unlimited (Naples)
Sail Marco (Marco Island)

I don't know anything about either but plan to do some sailing when on vacation in Naples at the end of February and found the details on the ASA website.

Please post again after your visit to say where you went and whether you'd recommend them.

MessingAboutinSoFL 01-05-2011 07:15 PM

Charlotte Harbor has tons of open, yet protected sailing space. It's along the Gulf ICW, north of Fort Myers/Sanibel Island. You can also rent boat at Burnt Store Marina and Fisherman's Village Yacht Basin. See Fishville.com

sailingdog 01-06-2011 01:41 AM

While I can't help with the Naples bit... I'm gonna guess you learned at Community Boating, given the Cape Cod Mercury and Charles River/Boston references in your post. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaadoogar (Post 683178)
I'm going to be in Naples, Florida for work later this month. I want to rent a boat for a few hours per day to become more proficient and practice what I've learned so far about sailing.

I just learned how to sail last summer on the Charles River in Boston. I'm comfortable in a small centerboard Cape Cod Mercury (15' sloop). I also have sailed a 13' Hobie Wave catamaran.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MarkCK 01-06-2011 04:26 PM

I am a frequent visitor to Marco Island. I have found that renting sailboats is kinda tough. I went through sail marco sailing school. Its been several years but I dont think that they charter sailboats other than crewed charters. The captain there is a nice guy, I would recommend chartering with them.

I have done a sunset cruise on one of the catamaran companies on the isle of capri. I had a good time, but it was more of a booze cruise type of thing.

I also looked into renting catamarans on the beach. There are several there, but the two I talked to said they only rented them to hotel guests. If there is a hotel down there that does rent them let me know because I will be down there in a couple of weeks.

Sailboatlarry 01-12-2011 11:43 AM

Not to sure about Naples. But a quick hop up the road to Fort Myers beach is the home of the Colgate boats. Not sure if they rent without taking the classes.

Also there Is a great sailing club in North Fort Myers with a flet of sunfishes and I believe international 14s or something like that. Only around $150 to join and you get unlimited use of the boats.

10000islands 02-02-2012 10:45 AM

sailing in the Marco Island & Naples area

TropicBird out of Goodland, Florida 10 minutes from most locations on Marco and about hour from Naples offers full day private sailing adventures for groups up to 6 deep into the 10,000 Islands aboard their 34 ft Gemini catamaran. You can help crew the boat as much or as little as you like, guided by a round the world sailor, who is also a Florida master naturalist and serves an excellent lunch. It’s a good opportunity to sample the cruising life. Coolbeans out of nearby Capri Isles offers shorter trips on an individual place basis and Sweet Liberty (a large cat out of Naples City dock) offers a similar service. There are also a number of day charter sailing vessels offering their services too from Naples City dock which you can check out on a nice stroll. See TripAadvisor and also check out Florida's Paradise Coast - Family Vacations Florida | Florida Beach Vacations | Naples, Marco Island & Everglades for lots of other on the water and sailing options in the area.

Captainelizabeth 01-27-2013 12:31 AM

Re: Where can I sail in Naples, FL?

For beach rentals of small boats try the naples beach club hotel. For sailing charters and instruction try sailing adventures in naples. Beautiful boat and great capt and crew.

MarkCK 01-30-2013 12:53 PM

Re: Where can I sail in Naples, FL?

Will the Naples beach club hotel rent to people who are not staying at the hotel?