Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Say I had 2 or 3 months...

...to rent a place in Florida and learn to sail. What would be the best/most cost efficient way to get on a boat? Buy a cheap little Hobie cat or dinghy? I would have to store it somewhere, can't trailer it. Renting something for that long seems like it'd get pricey. Are there any other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
One can easily learn to sail a dinghy in 2 to 3 days. What's the mid-term goal?

A sunfish or hobie will allow you to learn the basics, but if you want to be able to sail a larger boat, there may be better ways to learn. Low cost is always a challenge.
Old 01-26-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
There are local sailing clubs you can join. Depending on the club they could have boats anywhere from dinghy's to 26 footers. Usually they have tiered pricing to accomodate your particular interest level. I dont know if it requires a year membership or not, but generally they run $3-400 dollars a month.

I agree with Minnewaska, you can learn the fundamentals of dinghy sailing in just a few days.
Old 01-26-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
For example on Long island you can be trained at a world class level For next to nothing

Oakcliff Sailing Center

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 01-26-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Coconut Grove Sailing Club Coconut Grove Sailing Club in Miami has excellent 'learn to sail programs' and club boats that can be rented, by members' at low cost once they have completed the courses.

The Club holds seamanship classes, the next is a docking and anchoring seminar.

Once you can sail then there are crew opportunities on the club racers and on boats making trips. What is required is the willingness to put in 'sweat equity' only the people who helped clean the boat after a trip were invited back! One lady spent an entire day covered in grease when we did major engine work. If you turn up on the weekend that the members do club maintenance and when there is a hurricane evacuation I guarantee that people will notice.

While I lived in Miami I took over 100 people sailing on my boat. One lady who walked into the bar and said, "How can I get sailing experience?" has sailed with me in Florida, Bahamas, England, France and the Caribbean.

Other members have done thousands of 'blue water miles' on our boat.

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 01-26-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
And CGSC is a club of friendly people, even the doctor/lawyer/architect members are 'blue collar and will take you sailing on their boats.'
Old 01-26-2011

utchuckd is on a distinguished road
Thanks. I did a Learn to Sail at Offshore about 10-11 years ago, so I'm not totally green, but I'm right next to it. I probably remember half of the terminology, but all of the feeling of having the sails pick up wind and take off. Wouldn't have any problem helping with the cleaning/maintenance. Seems like that's when you could learn the ins and outs of boats, especially a newbie like me. Guess I'll check out some clubs.
Old 01-27-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
My wife and I took basic keel boat lessons a few years ago in Pensacola over the course of a couple of weekends. After that we joined the club at the school for $99 a month (plus I think there was a $300-$400 one-time initiation fee) and had unlimited use of club boats up to and including 25 ft. I thought it was the best deal going and we sailed at least once a week because it was easy, paid for, and convienient. The club also held several events a year to include clinics like docking and anchoring, fun sails, beach burger burns, etc. All at no cost other than food.

pm me for the school info if you like, I have no affiliation with them other than past good experience.
Old 01-27-2011

solman55 is on a distinguished road
Hey another pensacola guy. Well if you are military I can help you out unfortunatly its not civilian available but we have a hobie cat and 2 american 14.6 as well as sunfish at the park and we are working on a sailing program but one is currently available at another facility for a very reasonable price. If you are interested you can call me at work at 850-453-4530 and ask for Clint. If not there are several great places around like silvio said that do that and that would be very cost effective if you visit the area often.
Fair winds
Clint E

My Journey to find instability living aboard.
Watkins 27 CB
S/V Tipsy Gypsy
Old 02-16-2011

KINGZ is on a distinguished road
in clearwater FL, theres clearwater community sailing center, they have season membership, yearly membersip, ect.. yearly family $465, yearly single $350. boat use is 100% free 7 days a week. you also get a two days, 8 hours (6 hours on water) fee class with membership. also all classes are reduce for members, there list of boats are much large then what they show on their webpage too.

as for renting in the area, if you want to be on the beach area. plan to spend a few grand a month on rent, if you go inland like 10 min in from beach you can be as cheap as 550 a month for a 600sq house.. depending on how cheap you want to go or how hight you want to go.

eather way this area was hit hard by the housing bust, so rent is cheap here right now with ppl trying to save their property.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.