Would this be a good dinghy for an old guy to learn on... - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2011
hardin sailer

capnorv is on a distinguished road
I'm 54 and still sail our 8" Orca occasionally, but only solo. If you plan on more than yourself most of the time, I believe you would find yourself wanting a larger boat soon. If on the other hand your crew will be the occasional Grandchild, a 12' may be all you'll ever need. Nah, but it would be a good way to learn.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
I have an O'day Day Sailer. It is 16’ 9” with a 6’ 3” beam. It will carry 4 people at 160 pounds each but can seat 6 if some are children. It weighs 628 pounds on the trailer and has a minimum draft of 7” and a maximum of 3’ 9”. It is self-bailing with positive buoyancy. It takes a little longer to setup than a smaller boat, a little less than an hour for one person. All centerboard boats will tip over easily so you must know how to recover. You should intentionally capsize the boat so you know how to do it. If you live in a northern climate, be aware of hypothermia in the springtime so wear a wet suit and always wear a lifejacket. In the spring the air can be quite warm and the water deadly at 45 degrees. I just purchased a 4/3mm Men's Hyperflex CYCLONE Full Wetsuit for $129.99 including shipping from Wetsuitwearhouse .

You may well prefer learning on a keelboat if you want to eventually move up to a larger keelboat because keelboat characteristics are different than a light and quick centerboard. However, the real reason to go with a keelboat is they do not tip over like a centerboard. There is a considerable amount of learning that can be done on a centerboard that does readily transfer to a keelboat. Don’t get a keelboat bigger than about 24 feet long.

Last edited by LakeSuperiorGeezer; 02-01-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-06-2011

bojified is on a distinguished road
Follow up- I took the plunge and am very happy...

Folks- I did end up buying the "Kingfisher" American Fiberglass Corporation 12 footer. I spent a lot of time getting familiar with her on 'the hard' and now have been out in her on the water several times. I am very happy with the choice of starting out with this boat and each time I go out I learn more and more. Thanks again for all your suggestions and valuable advice. I look forward to more time on "Dionysus" and see her as a stepping stone to bigger things. Great and helpful forum!

Last edited by bojified; 06-06-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Change Link