Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011

SonofaGunofaSailor is on a distinguished road
Re-Learning to Sail in Stuart Florida

Hey all after 20 years of being dry I have finally been able to convince the wife that now is the time to sail.

I spent significant time in Lido's and Harbor's when I was a kid and am very confident in my small boat skills... I've been able to jump on a small boat every few years and it all comes back...

But we just purchased a Columbia 8.3 and this is my first bigger keel boat with winches and roller furling and other toys and I am a bit intimidated and have what i think is a nice dose of fear.

So do I just man up and take the boat out myself and work out the kinks myself or do you recommend a "formal" school or to find someone for lessons?

I stopped in at the US Sailing Center in Jensen and they suggested their small boat course.. That would make alot of sense for my wife that has never sailed before but for me seems too remedial... I just need to larger boat confidence and schooling.

What do you think?

and to all my fellow sailors in Stuart Florida... I am sorry... in advance!!!! :-)

Jeff

Last edited by SonofaGunofaSailor; 01-28-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2011

LakeSuperiorGeezer is on a distinguished road
There is an ASA school in Stuart, FL. Also, if you want private lesson from them, check half way down this page: Chapman School of Seamanship - Sailing & A.S.A - Objectives
Old 01-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
A local instructor for a day or two on your boat and I'll bet you would feel fine. In fact, I think its a very smart way to acclimate, rather than just going for it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.