SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Cal 27 Sailor needed - Los Ang. Area (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/7234-cal-27-sailor-needed-los-ang-area.html)

brian007 06-15-2003 07:53 AM

Cal 27 Sailor needed - Los Ang. Area

Hello, I need to hire an experienced sailor that can give me personalized instruction in sailing my newly purchased 1974 Cal 27 PopTop.

The boats in great shape with a 15HP OB.

I need someone who can show me the ropes specific to this boat and am willing to pay certainly. I suppose one can also gain experience on it too - another plus.

I know there are a lot of sailors in Souther Cal.. No instructor certs needed. Just a knowledge of sailing a boat of this class and a willingness and ability to teach me the ropes. I hope to get up to speed fairly expeditiosly so I can enjoy the boat to the fullest.

Let me know if you''re available.

panielsen 08-11-2003 10:54 AM

Brian,

I am not in So. Cal., but will try to help ya free of charge. WE have a 1971 Cal 27 Pop top we just finished refitting, and I think you will be pleasently suprised how easy it is to sail. Your boat has a self tacking Jib, and Main right? That means a car and track system mounted to the fordeck, and cockpit area. If so you are almost sailing!!!!! These boats are so easy to sail, I single hand mine at times. Now, locate the main, and Jib Halyards. Then the line that is connected, or runs through the club for your jib,(Piece of pipe). Once you have located these things, and found a way that is comfortable for you to tighten w/the winches, and cleat them off you are set. Do you have a local sailing/yacht club? If so JOIN!!!!! That is how we learned here in Stockton, CA... That way you can take a seasoned sailer out with you to teach you proper sail trim, and what to do in different types of weather. If you have ANY questions about the mechanics of your boat email me here: panielsen@att.net and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Good luck!!!

Paul

kmeeks 08-20-2003 11:18 AM

Hi Brian,

Contact me via email at kelvin_meeks at yahoo dot com

I''m in the Redondo Beach area.

I''m the skipper of a 32 ft. Islander - and have sailed a couple of 25-28 footers over the last year - happy to help out.

Raw1 05-28-2009 05:40 PM

Not a Sailor Yet? But Cal 3-30 owner

Hi Folks: Am new Cal owner and was reading some of the Articals in here.
Unfortunatly my Boat is in Moss Landing and we are dying to take it out!!
But have been warned about the dangers! Would like to at least motor her around but its so darn small there lol?
If anyone were so Inclined to want too maybe go out an Sail in Montery Bay contact us lets talk!
The boat sleep at least 2 couples and has bbq, Also she has a Volvo Penta Diesil engine. So she should motor nice? We can be reached @raw1world@yahoo.com . Thanks Roger & Roxi