Share your experience with Ontario sailing schools and CYA Basic Cruising course - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
knotted,
I sail out of Port Dover on Lake Erie, and the Sailing School is in our marina, right across the fairway from Dock Six. It is a course for adults, taught by adults, and the feedback I have gotten has been positive. Fanshawe will probably be the best bet for your Abbott, as it stays deeper longer in the season than Wildwood- fewer stumps to hit as well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2011

thehardaground is on a distinguished road
I think he should get his butt in gear and get himself a slip somewhere in Port Stanley and sail on a proper sized lake.
Old 03-22-2011
Abbott 22

knotted is on a distinguished road
bljones Thanks for the pointer re Fanshawe vs Wildwood - stumps aren't my favourite thing to knock against! WSC doesn't seem to want my boat (too big, too dangerous), so it might just be Fanshawe! The feedback on the Port Dover PBS course is appreciated. Too many sailing club courses seem to be targeted at getting one through White Sail... and over the entire summer.

I really enjoyed the Chronicles, btw! That alone would get me mooring there, if it were closer.

Quote:
I think he should get his butt in gear and get himself a slip somewhere in Port Stanley and sail on a proper sized lake.
Yeah, you would say that, Jeff!

but ... distance is/will be a factor as I plan to sail as often as possible - and that could mean daily! So I expect it will be a proper sized lake within a year or so, once I get my 'sea legs' and confidence in my skills and boat. Port Stanley isn't too far from here, but from Stratford, Grand Bend or Bayfield is as close or closer than the Port, and has clean water (I lived on a Lake Ontario beach front many years ago, and 'loved' the smell of the decaying algae bloom... not to mention the dead salmon - Oh, did I mention them? All quite on a par with Lake Nipissing's malodorous shadfly bloom )

If the Blue Mountains weren't quite so far away, I'd sail on Georgian Bay without a seconds' thought - that is a beautiful area. Grand Bend to Tobermory has some nice areas, bays and little harbours, but I think Georgian Bay is it!

Quote:
"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones

Last edited by knotted; 03-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-22-2011
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
Recommendation

knotted

I signed up for and completed the CYA Basic Cruising Standard as offered through Niagara College as a part of their continuing education program (i.e. tax deductible), back in June of 2007.

I can't exactly recall, but am sure it was between $300 and $400. The classroom portion was run out of the inner range lighthouse (seriously) on the East pier in Port Dalhousie. The session was run over two weekends (Saturday and Sunday), with a maximum of four students per session (we had three in ours). I'd say the split was about 30/70 ashore/afloat time.

The training sailboats were Shark 24s and it seems they're still using them. These are great and very sturdy boats to learn on.

The skills that I picked up were instrumental in giving me the confidence to immediately jump into small boat ownership as a single-handing sailor on Lake Ontario. Following completion of the course I found a cheap C22 needing some TLC and haven't looked back. Comprehensive knowledge and sailing confidence is what you'll get out of this course, with one caveat...

...the most important factor was my instructor. I highly recommend Peter Ruddlesdin if you can find him. I see he's listed on the Ontario Sailing website as an instructor, but I don't know if he's still instructing with Niagara College. You might want to send him a query to see where he's instructing this year.

I've participated in many training sessions (unrelated to sailing) and feel qualified to say that many instructors are full of hot air and don't really know what they're talking about. Mister Ruddlesdin on the other hand, is a sailor and a fine instructor who knows how to teach greenhorns to sail a keel-boat confidently. Remember that this is 4 years later and it still sticks out in my mind enough that I feel it warrants mentioning.

Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer.
Old 03-23-2011
Abbott 22

Thanks, Indigo, I lived just outside that area long ago!

It seems that a course or two goes a long way towards helping one succeed through a steep learning curve - steep because it's on a boat affected by wind, sea and weather, with sensory overload of input data to get things going right...

From everything I've seen here, a course followed by lots of practice builds confidence and skills in the fastest way possible.
Quote:
The skills that I picked up were instrumental in giving me the confidence to immediately jump into small boat ownership as a single-handing sailor
Not quite 'just do it' but very close, and quicker and a whole lot safer.

You're right about the importance of instructor skills, and perhaps we sailors should set up a page similar to 'Rate My Professor'; it would certainly be a very useful aid to course selection. Feedback is most valuable - I always ask my Clients for it. Peter is still listed on the link you posted, he lives in Fenwick.

Thanks for your comments.

Quote:
"You start with an empty cup of experience and a full barrel of luck. The trick is to fill your cup before the barrel runs dry." - bljones
Old 03-23-2011

knotted, if you want some Lake Erie time in your log book, we are always looking for designated drivers, er, I mean, crew.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-24-2011
Abbott 22

bljones
Dock Six
Port Dover

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your kind, and possibly generous, offer of 'employment', or should that be 'enjoyment'?

I am both honoured and very pleased to receive your offer, and once suitably qualified for the duties to be undertaken I will contact you to formally accept the offer and arrange a start date to take up the duties of the position discussed. Although your offer mentioned neither 'competent' nor 'confident' as part of the desired qualifications, you may rest assured that I shall endeavour to be a 'valuable asset' during the period of my 'employment'.

I point out that my qualifications to satisfy the 'designated' part of the job description are plain and simple: abstinence. My abstemiousness is exemplary on any day of the week not ending in 'y' or on which I intend to sail before the mast. I should, however, indicate in that regard that my ambition and long term job objective, where possible, is to not venture out of the cockpit or off the poop deck... I must enquire also in that regard whether your terms of 'employment' and/or 'enjoyment' include BYOB (bring your own buoy)?

Once more, thank you for your offer, the acceptance of which gives me nearly as great pleasure as will the 'employment' itself. I shall of course ensure that I bring my log book and that it accompanies me nearly everywhere, except for the compartment containing the small 'round hole in the floor'.

I am, Sir,
Your Most Obedient Servant

knotted
March 24, 1911
Old 03-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotted View Post
bljones
Dock Six
Port Dover

Dear Sir:

Thank you for your kind, and possibly generous, offer of 'employment', or should that be 'enjoyment'?

I am both honoured and very pleased to receive your offer, and once suitably qualified for the duties to be undertaken I will contact you to formally accept the offer and arrange a start date to take up the duties of the position discussed. Although your offer mentioned neither 'competent' nor 'confident' as part of the desired qualifications, you may rest assured that I shall endeavour to be a 'valuable asset' during the period of my 'employment'.

I point out that my qualifications to satisfy the 'designated' part of the job description are plain and simple: abstinence. My abstemiousness is exemplary on any day of the week not ending in 'y' or on which I intend to sail before the mast. I should, however, indicate in that regard that my ambition and long term job objective, where possible, is to not venture out of the cockpit or off the poop deck... I must enquire also in that regard whether your terms of 'employment' and/or 'enjoyment' include BYOB (bring your own buoy)?

Once more, thank you for your offer, the acceptance of which gives me nearly as great pleasure as will the 'employment' itself. I shall of course ensure that I bring my log book and that it accompanies me nearly everywhere, except for the compartment containing the small 'round hole in the floor'.

I am, Sir,
Your Most Obedient Servant

knotted
March 24, 1911
Mr. knotted,

Doc Brown has just delivered your letter. He has been dispatched in his De lorean to retrieve you and deliver you to the year 2011 to begin your new employment in the new century.

Wait until you see what the world looks like now.

Two words. Silicone. Boobies.

bljones.

PS, I know the big nautical talk is about the upcoming launch of the unsinkable RMS Titanic on the Atlantic route next spring. Don't be tempted to buy a ticket for her return voyage. Invest that money in buying stock in a typewriter company called International Business Machines, or that Ford Motor Company- I don't care what Ransom Olds says, I think he has a winner with that Model T.

I'll explain when you get here.

Last edited by bljones; 03-24-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2011
Abbott 22

Quote:
Two words: Silicone. Boobies.
the prospect of permanently inflated life preservers that are non-removable, or even implanted, is disconcerting and boggles the mind (mine, at least!)

I trust that other technological 'advances' that I might encounter will not be quite so frightening a concept

Thank you for the other tips; I'll avoid the passage and see the movie.

I await with great trepidation the materialisation of Doc Brown...
Old 04-08-2011

InkyMatt is on a distinguished road
Hi Knotted,
Did you end up choosing a course?
I've signed up for the CYA Basic Cruising course at the Harbourfront Centre in May. If you're still deciding, i'll let you know how it goes. I'm pretty new to this, so it might be an unbiased or uninformed view.
I already know that I'm new enough to not have realized how cold the lake will be in early May. haha

Last edited by InkyMatt; 04-09-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.