Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2003

cyberlord is on a distinguished road
Could this be a rig tuning problem?

I''ve owned this Catalina 22 for about 2 months now. Love the boat and it seems to sail well except for one thing I have noticed.

The boat sails way better when on a starboard beat that it does on a port beat. I haven''t taken any bearings on the wind to make sure I''m at exactly the same angle to the wind on each tack, but I believe it to be close by feel. Performance on the port tack is much lower, so much so that sometimes on a port tack I go so slow that the centerboard cable doesn''t hum. But a quick tack to starboard and the boat takes right off and the cable hums merrily away.

Could this be a tuning problem? What about worn out sails? What other things could it be?

Thanks for your help.

Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2003

JEFryar is on a distinguished road

If your boat is older you may have a problem with the centerboard or its mounting. If it is not centered on the hull it will affect your performance.
Look at the tiller position and compare its position on each tack. If it differs significantly it may indicate you are offsetting a problem.
You did not indicate weatherhelm or leehelm on either tack. Does this change or get more exagerated?
The shrouds must be of egual length and tension. Do the lee shrouds remain relatively tight and egual port to starboard on each tack?
Hope this helps.
CaptainJEF
Old 06-26-2003

Tiller is centered and the helm is balanced on each tack (except for a puff which pulls me to weather, more so on the starboard tack). I have a traveler and it is set amidships so it self tenders.

I''m not 100% sure on how well the CB sits when lowered, but I did do a quick visual on the CB pin (without dis-assembly) and it seemed to be a tight fit. Though the sheer weight of the CB could have mislead me on how tight the pin is.

Something else I thought it was, I was pointing too much to windward on the port tack, but there is no luffing and the sails look (to my novice eye) to be the correct shape. Apparent wind seems to be near the same angle, but of course much lower on the port tack.

Last night, 10-14 kn winds from SE to ESE. Heading home after a sunset cruise, east, in the ICW along the FL panhandle. Just after tacking to the starboard tack, the boat is slow and the sails load up and heels the boat. The boat speeds and at the same time I let her nose to weather until the speed stabilizes and the helm is balanced. I then steer to course and balance the sails once more. I use the puffs and wind veers to my benefit by steering more south so as to stay on the south side of the channel. (this is what I do, not sure if it''s proper seamanship).

When on the port tack I don''t get the sails loading up and it seems to slow down from the speed attained on the starboard tack and just creep along. I''ve tried heading up and off the wind a little and not until I''m more broad to the wind does the boat want to go, but this means letting the sails out more to compensate.

If this was a one-time deal I wouldn''t be worrying about it, but it happens a lot when I try to tack a beat to windward.

I will feel the shrouds next time I''m out.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 06-26-2003

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

What you are describing is that the boat carries better speed on starboard tack than on port tack. You haven''t suggested that the boat points higher on one tack than the other. A difference in pointing ability would suggest a tuning problem, but I doubt seriously that tuning would make as great a speed difference as you suggest.

I suggest you look for something on port tack that is creating more drag than on starboard tack. It might be that the outboard motor drags in the water on port tack, but not on starboard tack. It might be that there is more algae accumulated along the waterline on the starboard side than on the port side. It might be that you are dragging boat fenders in the water on port tack. I''d bet my money that drag is the source of the problem.
Old 06-26-2003

Hmm... Outboard drag. The outboard is on the starboard side and does dip on a port tack. But I hadn''t thought it would drag that much. The motor is a direct drive, no neutral, so the prop will drag a bit I guess. That''s something else I''ll have to check.

Wouldn''t the sails load up and heel the boat on the port tack just as it does on the starboard tack though? And wouldn''t I get weather helm as the boat builds speed just as on the starboard tack?

I''m hoping it is something besides CB.

Thanks guys

Tim
Old 06-26-2003

I don''t think your centerboard has anything to do with it. If there was a problem with the centerboard, it would probably affect the boat to the same extent, whether it was on port or starboard tack. I think the problem is caused by outboard drag. Sails don''t generate excessive power like an automobile engine. Any power that is wasted as a result of drag causes a significant loss in boat speed. Outboard drag slows a small sailboat considerably. It would also disrupt the balance of all the various forces acting on the boat above and below the waterline to a certain extent, and affect weather helm. Weather helm increases with boat speed. If the boat is faster on starboard tack than on port tack, then weather helm will be more pronounced on starboard tack.

Talk to a dealer who sells your brand of outboard, and check your owner''s manual, if you have one. Find out how you can tilt your motor as much as possible. Some motors tilt more than others. With some motors, you can tie a line to the lower unit and lash it to the stern pulpit to help hold it clear of the water. Even a couple of inches will help.
Old 06-26-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road

My C-22 has a portside motor mount, the long leg touches the water when flat or on a starboard tack. It affects speed and how high it points, no question. My boat really favors the port tack--just part of its personality, I just live with it.
Old 06-27-2003

Thanks guys!

I''ll check all these suggestions on our next outing.

Tim
Old 07-22-2003

engrngdave is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 1978 25s, The previous owner did a great job reurb''g, however I got with most the hardware for rigging the mast in abucket. I need some help to find pictures to put it all back so I can sail her. Any body out there w/pic''s or know where I can get help?? Any help much appreciated.
David Boylan
Saint Augustine Fl
Old 07-22-2003

If your boat is a Catalina 25, I know where you can get both pics and help. Go to the Catalina 25 Forum at catalina25-250.org/forum

The site has line drawings of all the boat''s hardware and rigging, and the members can usually answer any questions.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.