SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Dinghy Classes in New York City Area (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/74212-dinghy-classes-new-york-city-area.html)

motthew 05-07-2011 02:36 AM

Dinghy Classes in New York City Area

Hi everyone. I'm new to sailing, and hoping to get started this spring / summer in the New York Area. I took a single introductory lesson in Seattle on Lake Washington a couple of years ago, and had a blast. I'm leaning toward dinghies rather than keel boats because I really like the idea of being able to take a boat out alone without too much hassle.

Unfortunately, I really am not sure where to start with regards to finding a place to learn and preferably continue to sail in the area. Where are good spots to sail smaller boats? And any suggestions on schools offering dinghy classes?

(I'm also open to hearing about reasons why I should instead go for keel boats instead.)

Thanks!

Matthew

Yorksailor 05-07-2011 08:58 AM

Where To Sail

WanderingStar 05-07-2011 09:52 AM

Hi Matt, welcome. NYC is very large, but if you're nearer the Sound there are sailing schools on both shores. Dinghies are great, thrilling, elemental. They will teach you everything about balance and trim. Mistakes are quickly punished. But don't fear singlehanding a keelboat. They are more forgiving (except with depth). Probably most of us have solo sailed keelboats, one around twenty feet will be thrilling too, not too much to handle.

CalebD 05-07-2011 02:03 PM

One place in NYC to look into is: SailNY - New York City's Community Sailing Association
They sail 27' Solings in the Hudson River. The Soling is not exactly a dinghy but is a sporty racing boat.
This place in Oyster Bay does rent some dinghies: WFC - The WaterFront Center, Oyster Bay, NY - Daily Sailboat & Kayak Rentals

Many of the boating clubs in the area also have 1 Class dinghy racing matches throughout the season. This club is just one example and has a competitive Lightning fleet: Nyack Boat Club

hellosailor 05-07-2011 07:18 PM

Matt, the American Red Cross of Greater NY (ARC/GNY) used to have, and probably still has, a dinghy sailing class that is taught on Flushing Meadow Park lake every year. You might want to dig that up, IIRC it is cheap, affiliated with some small sailing club that also has two larger boats operating out of the World's Fair Marina nearby, all accessible from the #7 train.

Most of the sailing schools in the city will be using something bigger, J/24s, Solings, something in the 22-26' length. Some of the yacht clubs have dinghy programs but they're often for the juniors. Still, if you call around you may get some referrals.

CrazyRu 05-07-2011 09:22 PM

Catamaran!!!

Get yourself a cheap catamaran and join Sandy Hook Catamaran Club. Or just join the club and find someone to crew for.
Club isn't far from NYC and it is superb place.
http://www.fleet250.org/shbcc/public/index

Medusa28 05-20-2011 09:46 AM

Sailing instruction

As was mentioned, NYC is a big place. I belong to a non profit sailing club in New Jersey, just across the bay. We have youth instruction (9 to 16 yrs) as well as adult instruction and a "loaner boat" program, so you can practice. There are three loaner boats an O'Day 19, a Rhoades 19, and a Harpoon. Prices are reasonable. A few moorings available if you have your own boat.
check riverratssailing.org. We are on the Navesink River just south of Sandy Hook.
Lou

nygabe 06-01-2011 11:45 PM

Hey just saw your post-I took a dinghy class up in Westport CT (Longshore Sailing School-accessible via Metronorth) and am now looking into renting boats at some places off the LIRR (The Waterfront Center in Oyster Bay and the Dinghy Shop in Amityville).

If you might be interested in splitting a private lesson or just practicing on some rentals sometime, let me know.

jjablonowski 06-02-2011 09:40 AM

I agree with WanderingStar that you shouldn't discount small keelboats.

The western part of Long Island Sound has good access to open water, predictable winds, negligible tidal currents. Convenient travel can be important, too. If you don't want to be automobile-bound, consider the Long Island RailRoad to Port Washington or MetroNorth to New Rochelle or Mamaroneck.

The New York Sailing School iin New Rochelle could be an option. They use Sonars for instruction and rental to their graduates.

mcast 09-10-2012 09:02 AM

Re: Dinghy Classes in New York City Area

Dear Matthew,
I also live in the New York area and I am an experienced dinghy sailer. I am looking for a mate to sail with on dinghies in the New York area. It doesn't really matter if your are experienced or not. So if you want to meet up and look for a sailing school or for a rental dinghy that would be great!

Best
Michele