Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

No disrespect Frenzy, in fact my thanks to you for serving in the Navy, but as with boats too, it''s not the size but what you do with it that counts. If you have read the book bearing the same name as this thread, "Perfect Storm", you would have read of the sailboat Satori and how the Coast Guard terminated it''s voyage. The crew was lifted from the boat, the captain/owner went in protest. What isnít in the book is how the Satori survived the storm crewless and eventually washed up, quite intact on the Jersey shore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Pirate:
What you failed to report is - that boat surviving the so-called "Perfect Storm" was the exception, not the rule.

With regard to a Destroyer (aka: tin can) taking in water from a heel of 40 degrees, it all depends on how good the hatches are battened down, and how good are their gaskets and seals. On our particular "Tin can", we were told we could recover from a 67 degrees roll. We made it to over 50, then the Captain ordered the helmsman to point it into the waves. Were were steaming at 20 knots and not making any headway. :^( We reached our intended destination a day later than scheduled.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 07-22-2003
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Perfect storm

Old 07-26-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Ahoy ye missionary zealot, I see''s ye can''t keep me outten yer thoughts and truth be told tis me ye need to be working with unless blowing smoke up dem other guys tailpipes suits you better. It always gives me heart a chuckle when ye christians shy away from the lost souls of the world and prefer to revel in your santimonious rehetoric. Of course to take on de likes of me ye''d have to admit de truth about yourself. Tell me about dem Lambs Brenda. AARRGGHHH , keep de cianti I be sticking to me rum . Pirate of Pine Island
Old 07-30-2003
Banned

Perfect storm

Old 08-05-2003

BigRed56 is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Ahoy, De Pirate of Pine Island cannot be saved for any kingdom except his own vessel. Aye ye be challenged to any sailing test your god can dream up just so long as your vessl is next to mine, lets have at it. Iffin ye ain''t got de nerve or de vessel to go out in the big blue to speak wit me God, (Pirates don''t speak wit de hired help) den youse be de lost soul and de heck wit ye. Pirate of Pine Island.
Old 08-10-2003
Banned

Perfect storm

Old 09-12-2003

Epiphany is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

This is God. I''ve been reading all these messages and just want to let you in on a little secret, just between us. If you think I''m sitting up here in heaven and waiting for a request from you to keep the rain from falling on you and yours, you''re in for a rude awakening. I created the world, not to mention the universe, with certain rules of operation that no one has yet been able to figure out. And if you venture out onto my ocean, you do so at your own risk. You think you have commanded the winds and waves to be still and that they have obeyed you. In truth, you have been nothing more than the beneficiary of blind luck and random chance. And, as a result, you think that I''m watching out for you more than the 3 billion or so other people who inhabit my earth. My, my, but aren''t you a special person!
Old 09-15-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Ahh... so, if you want to do well to avoid the wrath of the sea, you should learn to discern the hidden factors creating the weather. In one of Bernard Moitessier''s books, he talks about these guys who sit aboard cargo carrying Junk boats in the waters off Indochina. They sit and meditate and appearantly commune with the forces that be, and when all is clear they give the go-ahead. Boats will wait in port for several days and not dare to move until the signal has been given.

Personally, I don''t have one of those on board. In fact, my boat, which is the same make as the Perfect Storm boat Satori, a Westsail 32 seems to attract storms. The first day out on her and I ran into a squall line. Sailing her up from Florida to New York, we hit a whole conga line of squalls, and, after arriving in New york, we''ve had one of the biggest seasons for electrical storms we''ve had in years.....
Old 09-15-2003
Banned

Perfect storm

Dearest Epiphany,
You may be a god, but you are not GOD, and you are not my GOD (Exodus 20:3, John 10:34-35, Psalm 82:6).
GOD, Who gives breath of life to all man, knows exactly how many human beings are on the face of the earth. He knows every hair on every head and has them all numbered )Luke 12:7).
His love is for every human being He ever made (John 3:16). Jesus is the abundant life (John 10:10).
And yes He does wait for me, you, and every other human being to come to Him (John 3:7, Matthew 7:7).
And He can find you anywhere (Psalm 139:8, Hebrews 4:12).
And I wait for Him (Psalm 37:34, Isaiah 40:31).
In truth, prayer, that is run by faith, that is generated by love, is unstoppable. So it becomes clear that love is the fuel that makes faith work, - Don''t ever forget that!!
(Galations 5:6, 1 Corinthians 13:13, Hebrews 11:1).
So I do not believe in blind luck, or random chance. I beleive in GOD. And as a result I am getting miracles in my life (and have for over 20 years) just like the all the rest of the human race has a right to do, If you''re born again (John 3:3-8). I didn''t start getting miracles till I turned to GOD. And they were small miricles, but they kept getting bigger, according to how much HE could trust me.
So If I pray till I walk on water, what''s that to you?? (Matthew 21:22, John 13:16, 14:12, 15:20, & 16:24, Mark 11:22-24)
For it''s certain that I am of the least of all the families on the face of the earth, and GOD, Who is love, is no respecter of persons. That means what He does for one, He''ll do for another (Acts 10:34, Jeremiah 29:13, Hebrews 11:6).

Faithfully,
Brenda

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.