Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2003

Epiphany is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Dearest Brenda,

First, let me be clear that I respect your beliefs. Whatever is true for you is true in your own mind and perception.

Secondly, I was brought up from youth in a Protestant Christian religion. It was only after a profound and basic questioning of what I truly believed that I left organized religion behind. I am a firm believer in a Supreme Being who created the universe. I just no longer believe that he or she or it directly intervenes in my life by making storms go away or working other miracles.

I guess it comes down to a question of faith. If I accept the premise that, whatever happens to me, it is the providence of God that makes it so, then everything that happens to me is proof that he or she or it is working in my life. So that kernel of faith can do nothing but grow and propogate. Frankly, that seems a bit simplistic.

I believe that the Creator set the universe in motion, including the winds and the currents and the waves, and that regardless of my theocratic beliefs, those forces will act upon me in exactly the same way that they act on those who profess to have been somehow chosen as the elect. If I do something stupid, the result will be the same and for a "true believer" who does something equally stupid.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2003

mdougan is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

would concurr with Epiphany...

reminds me of this Hindu story...

A master and his student are walking along and the master tells the student that "God is in all things, in fact you (the student) are God too".

The student got all excited "I''m God?!" He was really encouraged to hear that, maybe even a little proud. Suddenly a large elephant with a small handler sitting on its back came charging down the jungle path.

"Get out of the way, get out of the way!" screamed the handler.

The student said "I am God, you get out of My way!" and promptly was trampled into the ground by the elephant.

In total agony, the student asked the master, "Master, you said I was God why didn''t the elephant handler listen to my command?"

To which the master replied. "Since God is in all things, He was speaking to you through the elephant handler. Why didn''t you listen to His command and get out of the way?"

It just reminds me that maybe if there is a God-like personality out there, with a white robe and big flowing beard, listening to your prayers (something I don''t necessarily believe), then maybe instead of making storms magically disappear, they give some bright fellow the inspiration to figure out how to forcast storms and make sure that you get that timely information soon enough to protect yourself.

Maybe the "voice of God" comes from a lot of different mouths, including your Accu-weather forecaster
Old 09-16-2003

kokopelli9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Perfect storm

Here! Here! I concur!

Kokopuff
Old 09-16-2003

tsenator is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Pirateofcapeann,

You''ve got that almost right. She was pulled off the beach in maryland.

Here is a pic http://world.std.com/~kent/satori/Pic1.html.

ps...yes the boat survived, but I bet I would have been rattled around like a milkshake inside that ''ole Westsail 32.
Old 09-16-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Yea, I know. It had been a long time and I probably should have checked my facts better. Sorry. Frenzy is right though, in that Satori was the exception. Unfortunately boats of her stature are few and far between. Also, just as the best tools don’t make a good carpenter, the level of knowledge out there appears to be lacking these days as well, regardless of the class of boat. I suppose that I could jump up on the old soapbox and voice my opinion of most fiberglass boats and how sailing has taken on “hobby” status, but I’ll save it. Instead, I’ll just say to Brenda and those like her who can control their environment, that you ought to get a grip on “plan B”. And Brenda, should you ever feel that for some reason you’re loosing your faith, come up to Gloucester and I’ll take you out on one of “those days”. That ought to reaffirm your beliefs and teach you how to pray again!
Old 09-17-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

mdougan,

I found both yours and Epiphanys religious views interesting. I think in this day and age it''s important to know what you believe ,and why. I believe in God,and his word that is given to us through the Bible.I''m curious about your fairy-tale perception of what God looks like."a God-like personality out there, with a white robe and big flowing beard, listening to your prayers.(that you don''t necessarily believe in)" In the Bible,I don''t recall a description of God being given,other than telling us that man was created in his image.In the book of the Bible-Exodus 33:20, God told Moses "Thou canst not see my face;for there shall no man see me,and live." In regard to another part of your post,I agree with you concerning the physical aspects of a storms effects on a believer,versus a non-believer being the same. However, I like to think the mental difference is kind of like an anchor and rode used on a boat. My rode is the word of God that I learned as a child,and my anchor is the promise that God has given us that" for whom so ever that believes in him,shall have everlasting life." Speaking as a sailor, I''ve been in my share of storms.When things have gotten really bad,I''ve drawn on that anchor of faith for strength and it''s never failed me. I''ve found by doing so that I have no fear of the storm,because I''m safe no matter what happens.Someone reading this may be thinking,"another Bible thumping religious zealot." I assure you,I''m not worthy of such a title. I''m just a man with weaknesses and faults like we all have.I''m no better than most,and worst than a few.The only difference between myself and a non-believer is I know when my moral compass has developed deviation,and I make an effort to correct it. I hope to one day get it right.
Old 09-17-2003

jbanta is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

Sted

If it helps at all m y friend I am in your corner. There is nothing about sailing I couldn''t do with my Lord sitting in the boat with me. I like you am a normal regular guy. I have my weaknesses anf I sin ALOT but I don''t live in it. And when I have been faced by a knock down I am still at peace. Funny the idea I could die sailing really isn''t so scary..
Old 09-18-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Perfect storm

JBanta,

Thanks for your comments.We live in a world today where an individual is usually chastised for stepping up and saying what his religious beliefs are,and what that faith is based on.I have only respect for those willing to do so.The Bible foretold of these things coming to pass.It also tells us that in the end,every knee will bend,and every voice will call his name.Under what circumstances each of us will do these things will decide our path into eternity. Good sailing to you my brother!
Old 09-18-2003
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Perfect storm

Old 09-18-2003
Banned

bwalker42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Perfect storm