SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Perfect storm (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/7480-perfect-storm.html)

bwalker42 07-15-2003 05:20 PM

Perfect storm

I''m just not afraid of them, storms that is. I make them go away. Am I the only one???

jbanta 07-16-2003 03:43 PM

Perfect storm

A sailor ALWAYS controls the weather he sails in..

Jeff_H 07-16-2003 05:02 PM

Perfect storm

I am glad you have been so lucky and hope your luck stays like that.

Jeff

pirateofcapeann 07-17-2003 09:48 AM

Perfect storm

I''m not so lucky. So I''ve got a boat that will sail right through the worst crap that can get thrown at her. I remember one time, sailing for the Isles of Shoals out of Annisquam. A buddy of mine in another boat chose not to leave the river and laid the night in Lobster Cove. That afternoon, his anemometer read 60 knots of wind, IN THE COVE! I don''t know what it was blowing out where we were but we were getting POUNDED! All I can tell ya is my girl didn''t creak or groan a bit. She just kept on till we were in protected waters behind Cedar Island.

bwalker42 07-18-2003 06:04 PM

Perfect storm

BigRed56 07-20-2003 05:50 AM

Perfect storm

Ahoy ye silly jesus loving nit wit, I be a personal consultant to both God and de Devil and dey both says you get what ye get when dey wants to give it to ye. Iffin yer good and ye don''ts need to be taught a lesson den it''s fair weather and calm seas, iffin ye be a mediocre prophet or an average criminal ye might just get a hurricane fer your troubles. Iffin ye be a Pirate ye knows der ain''t nottin that either of dem can do to you that you can''t do yourself so''s quit yer belly aching and read something wot''s got a plot to it. Pirate of Pine Island

bwalker42 07-21-2003 05:54 AM

Perfect storm

Ahoy Big Red,

I told Claudette she would never flood my daughters apt in League City right on the water. I told her that the night before she landed, before I went to bed ''cause she was headed straight for us. Immediately she turned. Not a drop of water from the storm or storm surge came near my daughters home.
But the street over was flooded to the top of the apartments. I judge God to be faithful.
I don''t consult the devil ''bout any thing ''cause he''s a liar, n I''ll read what I choose thank you,

Faithfully yours,
Forever,
Brenda

pirateofcapeann 07-21-2003 09:38 AM

Perfect storm

Well, Brenda, Alls I can say is: "Have faith in the lord, but keep your powder dry"!

928frenzy 07-21-2003 10:07 AM

Perfect storm

To all sailors, be you God-fearing or not, here''s a saying I have engraved on a plaque and mounted prominently in the cabin. "The sea is a fickle mistress that does not coddle fools."

I was in the Navy for six years. The tin-can I was on (with a 47'' beam) was nearly broached twice. Once in the North Sea, and once in the (supposedly calm) Mediterranean.

Unless you boat is about the size of modern aircraft-carrier, it won''t be able to handle what mother nature can throw her way.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~

jbanta 07-21-2003 04:49 PM

Perfect storm

frenzy
I have heard that is a "tin-can" was heeled beyond 40 some degrees if could actually take on water and sink? What is the real scoop?