SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   First SOlo Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/75178-first-solo-sail.html)

severnmd 06-09-2011 08:40 PM

First SOlo Sail

Well, I did my first solo sail today out in B-more. If anyone was watching me get the boat in /out of the pier they were probably laughing hysterically, but overall it was awesome.

I learned some good docking techniques after approaching the pier with the wind fully at my back. Rule number one....SLOW THE BOAT DOWN!!! I resorted to paddling once I got stopped, but I was about 6 feet away from the pier, and then I just looked ridiculous and wasn't really making any headway. So, then I manned up and re-raised the mainsail.....I took the boat back out,, turned a few times, and finally made a somewhat acceptable approach to the pier.

Aside from being 100+ degrees out in B-more, it was a great day....

Hope everyone is doing well!

Cruiser2B 06-09-2011 09:58 PM

only people laughing were the ones too scared to try it themselves! Great Job! You had fun on your boat with no one elses help, thats all that matters

av8rlew 06-10-2011 02:43 AM

My first solo today too, your "slow the boat down" comment applied to me today, as I backed out of the slip a little too fast and almost hit the boats behind, I have to remember once its moving to shift to neutral and get ready to go forward, not alot of room for mistakes in the harbor. Once I got out of the harbor it was smooth sailing luckly.

BubbleheadMd 06-10-2011 06:40 AM

Dude, for your 3rd or 4th day of sailing EVER, this is pretty good!

Rangernewell 06-10-2011 07:03 AM

Great to hear Severn....Being new to sailing myself I went out 2 weeks ago solo .......Although my technic definetly needs improvement, I did have a blast. Things went well and I did not have any major issues. At least now I feel more comfortable going out on my own when I can't get anyone to go with me.

Silvio 06-10-2011 09:11 AM

Congratulations! Sounds like you did awesome. Keep having fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

SailKing1 06-10-2011 10:02 AM

Great job severnmd, Congrats, It just keeps getting better and better. That first step is the hardest but by the end of the season you'll feel like a natural.

My first solo I also came in toooo fast under aux power bow first and slammed the dock so hard it shook the barnies off. I think I woke everyone up whether they were sleeping or not.

Still, there is nothing like a day on the water alone.

DSneade 06-10-2011 02:41 PM

We've all been there! Getting the 'feel' of any boat comes with experience. So what if onlookers were amused. By the end of summer, you will be the one chuckling at the newbies. My advice to all new boaters (power or sail) is this: "Boats have no brakes".

Have an awesome summer of sailing.

severnmd 06-10-2011 03:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies!! It is definitely fun! I don't care if those folks were laughing, I was just setting the mood for my story! haha

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

captflood 06-10-2011 04:52 PM

GREETINGS EATHLINGS: Well done for having the bottle to have a go on the oggin. One of the methods I use to slow the boat but still maintain steerage is to scanderlise the main (Yachie term for pulling on the topping lift to bring the boom to about 45 degrees) This slows the boat but still gives some forward mouvment . dont let them grind you down you whent for a sail they stayed ashore NERR NERR well done GO SAFE