SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

First SOlo Sail

3K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  WDS123 
#1 ·
Well, I did my first solo sail today out in B-more. If anyone was watching me get the boat in /out of the pier they were probably laughing hysterically, but overall it was awesome.

I learned some good docking techniques after approaching the pier with the wind fully at my back. Rule number one....SLOW THE BOAT DOWN!!! I resorted to paddling once I got stopped, but I was about 6 feet away from the pier, and then I just looked ridiculous and wasn't really making any headway. So, then I manned up and re-raised the mainsail.....I took the boat back out,, turned a few times, and finally made a somewhat acceptable approach to the pier.

Aside from being 100+ degrees out in B-more, it was a great day....

Hope everyone is doing well!

#3 ·
My first solo today too, your "slow the boat down" comment applied to me today, as I backed out of the slip a little too fast and almost hit the boats behind, I have to remember once its moving to shift to neutral and get ready to go forward, not alot of room for mistakes in the harbor. Once I got out of the harbor it was smooth sailing luckly.

#5 ·
Great to hear Severn....Being new to sailing myself I went out 2 weeks ago solo .......Although my technic definetly needs improvement, I did have a blast. Things went well and I did not have any major issues. At least now I feel more comfortable going out on my own when I can't get anyone to go with me.

#7 ·
Great job severnmd, Congrats, It just keeps getting better and better. That first step is the hardest but by the end of the season you'll feel like a natural.

My first solo I also came in toooo fast under aux power bow first and slammed the dock so hard it shook the barnies off. I think I woke everyone up whether they were sleeping or not.

Still, there is nothing like a day on the water alone.

#8 ·
We've all been there! Getting the 'feel' of any boat comes with experience. So what if onlookers were amused. By the end of summer, you will be the one chuckling at the newbies. My advice to all new boaters (power or sail) is this: "Boats have no brakes".

Have an awesome summer of sailing.

#10 ·
GREETINGS EATHLINGS: Well done for having the bottle to have a go on the oggin. One of the methods I use to slow the boat but still maintain steerage is to scanderlise the main (Yachie term for pulling on the topping lift to bring the boom to about 45 degrees) This slows the boat but still gives some forward mouvment . dont let them grind you down you whent for a sail they stayed ashore NERR NERR well done GO SAFE

#11 ·
Congrats

The only one's laughing are the ones who have never docked a boat. Personally I find sailing in heavy weather to be more enjoyable,less stressful and easier then bring my boat into dock under heavy wind. I have spent enough time at my harbour over the years to notice people's reactions to a docking gone bad. The non sailors tend to stand and stare, the sailors? A look of sympathy without trying to make eye contact with said captain. We have all been there and will be there again.

Have fun
John

#12 · (Edited)
Agree, the hardest thing to do is bring the boat into a slip single handed with cross winds. Everything else is sooooo much easier to do. Great Job! Keep it up and you will be relaxed at doing it.
My hardest was sailing into the slip single handed when the engine when capputs. Even I was impressed that i was able to get this monster up Back Creek and then backed into the slip by a few feet with only a bit of main and the staysail. Thank dog for a buddy line (lazy line on the slip).

Oh, i don't think i would try that again. I was foolish then.

#13 ·
Sounds like you did great! Sailing with non-sailor friends is just like single-handing. One time I came into the slip a little briskly and had to punch her in reverse to slow her down. Boat coasted nicely into the slip and I hopped off to secure the lines. Suddenly I hear, " Bye....we're leaving". I had left the engine idling....in reverse... and the boat was slowly motoring out of the slip. :eek: Just one of several funny docking events over 27 years. Just remember, any landing where you don't have to pull out your checkbook is a good landing.:D

Mike

#14 ·
A little off topic but are you from Severn, Maryland? I've lived in KY for the past 25 years but I was raised on Quarterfield Road near Danza Rd. and went to Arundel High. Small world if true........well not really that small but Howdy, as they say in these here parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.