Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Single Hand City!

I was looking at the NOAA forecast and just fuming! It talked about all the thunder, lightning and terrible storms during the weekend, and I just about gave up on even going to the marina. But, when I got up in the morning, and there seemed to be a little wind. Could it be enough to go out?

It was! And I did it single handed. Not too bad, actually. Leaving and returning to the dock was a little harder without assistance, and I still have difficult keeping the boat into the wind to raise the main successfully. (I could write a book about how tough that can be!) I actually tried raising the main three times before giving up. Then, I got the jib unfurled and started moving. After a few minutes, I gave the main one more try and got it up. So, for the next couple of hours, I sailed back and forth across the Patuxent, changing direction, and having a cup of coffee while I was doing it. I got a rhythm going with the jib so I actually didnít make too many mistakes.

My wife will tell me (sheís been at the Kennedy Center all day) that I shouldnít have gone out by myself, and when I get the jackline and tethers in the mail, I will use them with my harness, but I just didnít want to waste what turned out to be great day and success on the water.

Definitely the best day since I bought the boat last year.

Old 06-11-2011

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road
Cool ark, very cool.

Weather wise I had the same sort of day. No wind in the forecast, thunder showers etc. I did get out for a great light wind sail.
As to your mail sail issues, hang in there, a day will come soon enough were you won't even think about it, like ride a bike.

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyandjebus View Post
As to your main sail issues, hang in there, a day will come soon enough were you won't even think about it, like ride a bike.

John
I figure I'll get better with practice -- and it will all become automatic. At least I hope so.