Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011

adell50 is on a distinguished road
How can I keep my Job/Genoa from beating up my boat?

Newbie sailor here..

27' Catalina

I am pretty green, so I like to raise my head sail with plenty of channel ahead of me. Inasmuch, I end up with a Jib/Genoa raised and beating the tar our of the mast and shrouds until I head out to sea. This last trip I broke on of my shroud wind vanes..grrrr

I figured I might motor just a little off the wind so its not flapping onto the mast so much, but wanted to ask.

Anyone have any advice in this regard?

Many thanks!

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2011

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Don't put it up until you need it.
Old 06-13-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
^^^ what he said ^^^ right now you're only working on putting the sail maker's kids through school.

sounds like time to spring for a sailing lesson or a ride out with an experienced friend.
Old 06-13-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Ditto to what Siamese and puddinlegs said. Few things will trash a sail faster than letting it unnecessarily flog against something. And, as you have witnessed, such flogging doesn't do much good for the something against which it flogs either.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-13-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
And in General most of us raise the Main first. It doesn't flog as much when motoring. But it can!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2011
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
And in General most of us raise the Main first. It doesn't flog as much when motoring. But it can!
Agree. You can generally put the main up and motor/sail even nearly dead into the wind without it flogging to much. This would give you a headstart on the sailing when you get out of the channel. We usually do that because with the traveler locked in the center and the sheet in tight, you can motor and tack with little or no effort going out the channel if the wind is on your nose.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 06-13-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Aaron: on my C27, I hank on the jib, run the sheets back to the cockpit, clip on the halyard, and flake the sail down on deck while still at the dock. But I don't raise it until I'm ready (which is generally after I've also raised the main).

I used to have shock cords run through the stanchion bases with bronze clasps that I would use to tie the jib down to keep it from blowing around; you can set up something like this pretty easily. However it means you have to head up to the foredeck before hoisting, so I generally don't use it unless I expect the sail to get blown of the deck (usually that does not happen).

If your halyard runs back to the cockpit, then the best system is to run a "downhaul" to the head of the jib. This line goes through a turning block at the base of the forestay and back to the cockpit. Keep it and the jib sheets cleated off while motoring out, then loosen them all to hoist the jib. Later you can use the downhaul to help you douse from the cockpit.
Old 06-17-2011

OtterGreen is on a distinguished road
try raising the main first as previously states. i single hand 99.9 percent of the time. my routine on a 23 footer is:
1 leave the sail ties on until im ready
2 head dead into wind and take them off, raise the main and give slack to the topping lift
3 fall off to fill the sail
4 kill the outboard and drop the rudder and centerboard as needed
5 clean up the cockpit of lines
6 while on a reach, unfurl the jib and sail on
Old 06-18-2011

@otter - thanks a lot for the tips! I am yet to adjust the topping lift all while at sea, so this will be done today. Unfortunately, I don't have a furler..only hank of jibs/genoa. The head sail has really been my problem. It like to beat the tar out of my shrouds when raising it early :/ Either way though, I appreciate you for the advice.
Old 06-18-2011

@adam - I completely missed your post! We have the same boat, only yours is 1 year richer That sounds great. Do you attach the clew of the jib to both sides of the boat via stanchions with shock cords? My boat doesn't have any of the lines running to the cockpit, however I'd like to make that a reality after the season. Many thanks!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.