Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2011

adell50 is on a distinguished road
hey andrew! thanks for that link...i found your book just last week and its fantastic! thank you for reminding me and also writing it in the first place.

Cheers!

Family - Friends - Sailing - Rugby - Real Estate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-24-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Rub rails & Spring Lines are your best friends
X1000. hook on one spring line in mid ship and motor in reverse. You boat will hug on your port until you run of of diesel. Stronger the wind, higher the rpm needed.

See Jack Klang's video

Amazon.com: Captain Jack Klang Sailing Series - Singlehanded Docking and Sail Trim: Movies & TV

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 06-26-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I've been docking in a slip like yours for years, first with a Cat 30, then a Cat 36. I've never used spring lines, just back it out to port like a car (thank you prop walk), then straighten it out and head out the fairway. Coming back in, the amount of speed will vary with the headwind. I used to come in dead slow, but once a long time ago as I brought the bow around into the slip, the wind blew me back out and I was totally screwed. So, if it's really windy, I keep a bit more way on now. Get her into the slip, hit a shot of reverse to bring her alongside on the port side (thanks again prop walk) and step off. Given that you have an outboard, things might vary a bit as I'm not sure if you have reverse. You'll need to monitor your speed more closely if not. Just watch getting blown back out, it's not fun.

Mike
Old 06-27-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
" I usually keep all but 1 of the lines left tied on the dock, "
Adell, I'm dead opposite all the time. I keep the lines on boat and when I tie off, I'll often bring the lines from the boat to the dock then BACK to the boat so I can throw them off while aboard as well.
Lines on the dock are good if that's where the line handlers will be.

If your dock has horn cleats (normal in the US but apparently unknown in Canada?) you can do very nicely by tossing a line around a cleat, or simply on the "other" side of a cleat, and snubbing it off to stop your motion. Then the rest is just a matter of setting and adjusting the other lines, since you're already attached by one.
Old 07-05-2011

adell50 is on a distinguished road
Thanks again everyone for the advice.

Yesterday, I left the dock for the first time and took my boat sailing solo.

It was amazing and glorious. Trust that Neptune was laughing when I tried to keep the sails full AND make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Family - Friends - Sailing - Rugby - Real Estate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by adell50; 07-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Adell, nice to hear you're getting out on your own. You've got some good advice so far.

I have a very similar setup, so I thought I'd share my experiences.

My first "home dock" was usually, but not always, a windward dock with the finger more or less parallel to the wind. My berth was on the far side of the finger when coming in from the fairway. This meant I had to pass around the finger (to starboard) and then come back at it. Those two factors meant that it was often much easier to back into the slip than to go bow-in. I would drift in neutral past the slip with a little turn to port, get her going in reverse, and then once I had steerage in reverse I would steer backwards in neutral again. The wind would help line the boat up with the finger.

On my new home dock, that's quite a bit trickier. It's the same arrangement as far as wind goes, but the fairway is much narrower and I don't really have room to do the same thing. I always go bow-in now, but fortunately I don't have to pass my finger and then head back to it (I picked a slip that had that feature). Docking is always stress-free now, though getting out is a bit harder.
Old 07-10-2011

Northface25 is on a distinguished road
FoolishMuse, that was a good link. thanks
Old 07-10-2011
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
I handle a 53' ketch alone all the time & the secret is SPRING LINES.
Once I have an aft spring line on I turn the helm away from the dock (tiller's [ob or boat] the opposite, of course; have a bit of line to hold it in place), put the engine in forward which holds the boat into the dock on the spring line, & go about the business of getting the other lines on at your leisure.
This works in any wind/current conditions; you only need to vary the engine rpm's to the point where the boat is held tight alongside the dock.
I have proper midship spring line cleats, but your gene winches will do as suggested above. If you are going to be a serious single-hander, you might consider installing midship cleats (with bolts & backing plates, NOT screws) p & s.
I do the same when preparing to leave; put engine in gear against the spring, remove all other lines, then put engine in neutral, slip the spring & pull away from dock/slip.
This always works & makes you look pretty competent, too.

Last edited by capta; 07-10-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2011

Cal28 is on a distinguished road
This lil video did wonders for me ... shows what many above are explaining ...

Seafaring Magazine –Latitudes and Attitudes Television | Capt Jack shows how to dock bow into the wind while singlehanded.

Last edited by Cal28; 07-10-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adding title
Old 07-10-2011

luck66 is on a distinguished road
I dock my 30 foot sloop singlehanded all the time. The Latitudes and Attitudes singlehanded video regarding docking was very good. I also have my lines ready on the boat, and bumbers out on the side of the boat thats comming in contact with the dock.