Sailing Skills - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2011 Thread Starter

Sailing Skills

I would like to obtain some sailing skills, does any one know where to get it ?

Mark
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2011

J-World Sailing School- America's Best Sailing School

Quote:
J World Introduction

J World is known as "The Performance Sailing School." Regardless of your present skill level or the type of boat you prefer, your training at J World will improve your performance as a sailor. Attending J World will teach you more about sailing than any other sailing school in the country.

The Racing and Cruising School

Since 1981, J World has taught over 30,000 people how to sail. And, each year more men, women and children from age 12 to 70 become captivated with sailing. Whether you're a beginning sailor or a racer seeking to improve your sailing performance, J World has a course to meet your goals. Current locations for J World's Sailing Schools include Annapolis, MD; Key West, FL; Newport, RI; San Diego, CA; and San Francisco, CA.

Planning Your Sail Training
Everyone at J World is a sailor; from the teaching staff to the office staff. When you contact J World, you will be in contact with an individual who is experienced in discussing sailing and your sailing plans.

J World's Teaching Method

J World has been named "the Best Sailing School in America" for 20+ years for good reason: the qualifications of their instructors, beautiful locations, and the proven strength of their teaching methods. The curriculum and the capabilities of the instructors is world renowned. Since J World's founding, the sailing, cruising and racing courses have been consistently updated and improved. The students benefit from the sailing experience of their instructors and their expertise in teaching the latest sailing techniques.

Teaching The Teachers

At J World each instructor trainee spends an extensive period as a "student". The staff development program sharpens the trainee's observational and listening skills while educating them to J World's teaching method. Boundless sailing experience is only one of the strengths necessary to be accepted into the J World instructor training program. The ability to teach as well as a passion for sharing the joy of sailing is prerequisite for all J World instructors.

Six Hours on the Water Every Day

You will learn more in one session at J World than you would in a full season of trial and error sailing. No sailing school spends more course time on the water than J World and there are no half-day courses, only a commitment to teaching students who are dedicated to mastering sailing.

The J World Sailing Fleet

J World makes use of the J/24, J/80, J/105 and J/120 as their sailboats for teaching you the important concept of "sailboat feel". When you make a sail adjustment you can see and feel the changes in the way the boat moves through the water-- an incredibly important element of learning how to sail well. If the boat you're learning on cannot "talk" back to you, then you are being denied a vital learning tool. At J World, all students are taught to "listen" and "feel" the boat.
(Emphasis mine.)

Definitely worth it -- if only for time on a J105 with an experienced captain . . .

ed.)

Our fellow citizens have been led hoodwinked from their principles by a most extraordinary combination of circumstances. But the band is removed, and they now see for themselves. --Thomas Jefferson
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by markka82 View Post
I would like to obtain some sailing skills, does any one know where to get it ?

Mark
Any number of sailing schools.

Hang around the local yacht club and go racing. Bring shoes, gloves, a pfd and beer.

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #4 of 10 Old 06-27-2011
Dragon Mod

Dock
Sailing clubs

Join a sailing club. I belong to two and in one we have a hard time getting new members who joined to learn how to sail to come out to either our races or the cruises. I don't get it.

When I first wanted to learn how to sail it was the best $35 (dues at the time) that I could have spent. It got me access to a number of different boats and people with a lot more experience. Even attending the social events I come away with something new that I can apply to my own boat.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
post #5 of 10 Old 06-30-2011
Blue Horizons

What you do is locate a large piece of driftwood- relatively flat if you can help it. Now find some 1 1/2" PVC pipe- 5' for ever 3 1/2' of driftwood. Your going to want to use a circular or hole saw to cut the mounting hole for your mast about 2/3 the way up your driftwood hull. SLide that sucker through and slap some 5200 round the edges for a nice seal. No worries about the portion of PVS pipe sticking out the boats bottom, that will act as your dagger board. Just attach a flat piece of plywood to the underwater portion of your PVC pipe for better drag/friction. Now go to the back of your driftwood and drill two holes through thevery back of it. Lash some line through the holes and tie it round a straight flat stick- this will be your rudder and traveling line. Now go to your local walmart and buy a bedsheet- Queen size should be ok. Cut your bedsheet into a big triangle then make another 2 sided triangle with slats of plywood to nail your sheet into. Get some shoe laces or twine and tie one end to the top of your sail/bed sheet and the then run the rest through a self-drilled hole near at the top of your PV C mast. Run the line through the hole and pull up your sail- Got a sunfish Rig btw.
Now tie your main into a holding position and slide her in the deep blue. Set a course for the Azores and get livin!
post #6 of 10 Old 06-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
What you do is locate a large piece of driftwood- relatively flat if you can help it. Now find some 1 1/2" PVC pipe- 5' for ever 3 1/2' of driftwood. Your going to want to use a circular or hole saw to cut the mounting hole for your mast about 2/3 the way up your driftwood hull. SLide that sucker through and slap some 5200 round the edges for a nice seal. No worries about the portion of PVS pipe sticking out the boats bottom, that will act as your dagger board. Just attach a flat piece of plywood to the underwater portion of your PVC pipe for better drag/friction. Now go to the back of your driftwood and drill two holes through thevery back of it. Lash some line through the holes and tie it round a straight flat stick- this will be your rudder and traveling line. Now go to your local walmart and buy a bedsheet- Queen size should be ok. Cut your bedsheet into a big triangle then make another 2 sided triangle with slats of plywood to nail your sheet into. Get some shoe laces or twine and tie one end to the top of your sail/bed sheet and the then run the rest through a self-drilled hole near at the top of your PV C mast. Run the line through the hole and pull up your sail- Got a sunfish Rig btw.
Now tie your main into a holding position and slide her in the deep blue. Set a course for the Azores and get livin!

And That is when the Fight Started...

Tempest
Sabre 34
Morgan, NJ
post #7 of 10 Old 06-30-2011
Blue Horizons

Haha or we hear about a missing person lol
post #8 of 10 Old 06-30-2011
Fat Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to silkscreeners
There are also lots of books available for beginning sailing. They explain terms as well as having good illustrations. This is how I started!
Brian
post #9 of 10 Old 07-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Join a sailing club. I belong to two and in one we have a hard time getting new members who joined to learn how to sail to come out to either our races or the cruises. I don't get it.

When I first wanted to learn how to sail it was the best $35 (dues at the time) that I could have spent. It got me access to a number of different boats and people with a lot more experience. Even attending the social events I come away with something new that I can apply to my own boat.
You say they had learned how to sail then never go to the races?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-01-2011
Dragon Mod

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ritz View Post
You say they had learned how to sail then never go to the races?
No, some people joined the club to learn how to sail but then did not participate (sail) when given the opportunity. They paid their dues and we never see them. We have races, day sails and cruises so just about everything is covered.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.