SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Recommended Reading for an aspiring cruiser...

3K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  tjvanginkel 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi SailNet Forums,

I was wondering if you all could recommend some good instructional material for a new-ish sailor.

I'm looking for a "how-to" guide (more probably a series of guides) that cover the various parts of cruising beyond "simply" sailing, i.e. anchoring techniques, handling bad weather, navigation, procedures when sailing to foreign countries, etc.

Thanks much!

#2 ·
A couple

The Annapolis Book of Seamanship - John Rousmaniere
Chapman's Piloting

That should get you started. I am sure others will post as well.

#3 ·
In addition to the Annapolis Book of Seamanship, The Complete Sailor by David Deisman is a good all around book to get started.

I would also recommend picking up This Old Boat by Don Casey, as a large part of sailing is fixing things.

After a little reading, turn to sailnet for questions/discussions. I learned more here than any other book.

#6 ·
Take a look at Debra Ann Cantrell's book, "Changing Course". Although written for women, it is a worthwhile read for men as well. See also, "All in the Same Boat" by Tom Neale, a respected author and long-term cruiser. You might also Google Liz Copeland and check out her books, particularly her early work.

FWIW...

#8 · (Edited)
Look up your local Squadron of the United States Power Squadrons. In spite of that misleading word "power" local squadrons are now typically named the [your town] Sail and Power Squadrons.
We teach many useful courses from basic boating up through Piloting (near shore navigation) and on up through open ocean Navigation.
There are squadrons all over the country, not just on the coasts. We are the oldest safe boating teaching organization in the US.
United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education
You could also visit my squadron's site: http://kcsps.org

#10 ·
But beware sweet Annie. She converted me to a junk rig sailor as she has done for many others.
A personal favor request: if you choose to read Annie's book, and a very good book it is, please buy a legal copy at Amazon or somewhere. It has escaped into the wild and when people download it Annie doesn't even get the small amount of money that a legal copy brings her. She did that work for all of us and deserves the very modest income it should net her.
And yes, she's a friend, so I'm not entirely disinterested.

#13 ·
Sell up and Sail by the Coopers is worth a read. Ignore their boat choice and read about how they coped with cruising. It is a bit dated now but still full of good info.

Also when I was starting out for the first time I had a copy of Shrimpy by Shane Acton onboard. Anytime I got worried about if I had enough boat or sailing ability for the job I would read a chapter. He circumnavigated on a 18 foot plywood boat and when he left had never had the mast up or sailed the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.