SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Opinions on windsurfing/kitesurfing

6K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  HELLICONIA54 
#1 ·
Just wondering what some think about using windsurfing or kitesurfing as sailing "experience". I don't mean to replace actual sail time or anything, but I can get a cheap windsurfing rig until funds come together for a real boat, and until I figure out what I want.
I realize that the rigging and equipment is totally different, but I guess I'm after the 'feel' of it, and maybe windsurfing is better than nothing?

#7 ·
Yes, but only a little sailing. I'd say that I'm novice still-
A couple short jaunts on a Sunfish years ago,
Chartered 40+ footers with family when I was a kid

I found a couple dinghys locally for cheap, so I might go that route and skip the windsurfing, although it does look like a lot of fun.

#8 ·
If your objective is to improve your general sailing skills, I would agree that the sailing dinghy is the better approach.

I used to windsurf a lot -- back in the '70s and early '80s. It is definitely a blast.

But they are not as much fun in light air, so you will tend to only go out when there is a good breeze blowing. What then ends up happening, is that you go so fast on these planing boards that the apparent wind is almost always far forward.

So you do not get the same practice as you would in a dinghy where you have to learn to manage the boat on all points of sail, and in varying wind strengths. In other words, the dinghy sailing experience is much more similar to larger displacement hull sailboats. Plus, you can take a friend and a picnic along.

#11 · (Edited)
You should be able to buy a highly functional (may not be the prettiest, but everything is in respectable shape) for along the lines of $800 to $1600 (including trailor)... for a Day Sailor along the lines of 14 to 18 Ft. Based on what you say about your background, as a solo skipper, you will be more than challenged to sail a day sailor sloop in 10 to 15 knots...

#13 ·
As an advanced windsurfer, I haven't advised anyone to start windsurfing in over 5 years. Kite surfing is the way to go IMO. Windsurfing is going to give you more applicable experience towards sailing a boat (mainly, sail trim), but it is a tough sport, and there are easier ways to get actual boat experience. Look in your area for crew lists in sailing magazines (we have several on line lists in the SF Bay Area, i.e., Goggle; "Latitude 38" ). Skippers are always looking for crew, and many want newbies to train "their way". Marinas and Yacht clubs are another resource. If you are reliable and have a good attitude, you should have no trouble finding a ride. You could be crewing in races in no time! But, I say... if you want to actually spend time IN the water, take kiting lessons.

#14 ·
I kitesurf pretty regularly and I would say it's not much, if nothing.... if not the oppostie of sailing. I would 'guess' that a windsurf board would be more like it, but would say for the price of a "basic" kitesurfing setup, just look for a sunfish or something. Don't think you can get more than a few days a year on a basic kitesurfing set up, in sailing you adjust your sails... in kitesufing, you buy a different sized or shaped kite. If you like kitesurfing, then get into it, but don't into it because it's cheaper than sailing. It ain't.

#18 · (Edited)
That may be, but you need the lessons to kite. I'm self taught in windsurfing and sailing (with a lot of help from others). However, with a kite, you are attached to a lot of power. You have to learn how to control the kite before hooking yourself to it. I would be very selective as to where I took the lessons. I have had ASA "graduates" on the boat who couldn't sail the boat if their life depended on it. With a kite, you can't afford to find out you don't know what you are doing when the wind suddenly picks up to 25 Knots! If you get overpowered on a sailboard, you eat it, the sail goes in the water and you regroup. At worst, you may have a long gnarly swim (I've had many!), and lose some gear. However, if you get overpowered on a kite and don't know how to handle it, you can be in for a very dangerous ride. Don't get me wrong, I think kiting is great and is basically safe. However, you need to know how to control the kite in all conditions.
Back on topic; I find that because I windsurf, I am much more conscious and knowledgeable about sail shape on boats than some more experienced Skippers I sail with. I'll never forget one time I was on another boat. The Skipper was mesmerized by the boat speed on his GPS, and was steering accordingly. His sails were screaming "trim me, trim me" and he was oblivious to it! On a sailboard, if you are not efficient (when either over or underpowered), you are often swimming. Great incentive to get the most out of a sail!

#20 ·
Yeah...but after the initial investment, no lift tickets or long drives to the slopes, and kiting pales in comparison to what I spend on a 30 foot sail boat in a year! If you live near the Gorge (aka- the Mecca of wind!), I say...GO FOR IT! I love my boat, mainly because of the amazing little vessel it is. However, some of the best days of my life have been spent ripping across the Golden Gate on my sailboards. No comparison!

#21 ·
Maybe someone mentioned this, I didn't read all posts carefully. A windsurfing board will teach you the affect of center of lift on the center of lateral resistance. It is all you have to turn one and that will be a great lesson for both sail trim on a boat, as well as potentially having to make shore with a broken rudder.

I learned to windsurf from a guy on a beach in Aruba. After a few passes in a 20kt offshore breeze, he took off and left us alone. We just got further and further from shore. Eventually made it back. Couldn't decide if that was the best or worst way to learn.........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.